organizations supporting freight and light rail?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Hi everyone,

I have been searching online for a group that is organizing to change our transportation system to support freight and light rail over trucking and car commuting. So far I have not found anything. Does anyone know of any group doing that?

I would be very surprised if there were no such organization. If there isn't then one needs to be created. This article makes a good case for the need to take action to bring back the freight system: http://www.grist.org/article/freight-trains-19th-century-technology-due-for-a-21st-century-revival

Basically the trucking industry is heavily subsidized by taxpayer maintained roads, while the freight industry has to lay their own track with basically no help. The trucking industry is far less efficient for long distance shipping. Personally I am sick of the sound of the truck tearing through my town, and the way the highway system breaks up the land and makes it hard to get around, not to mention the environmental disaster of our oil dependency.

Please help me find like minded people so I can at least sign a petition and have a place to send people for information.

Thanks
-Seth

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.