Ontario California Signal

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

I'm looking for information about this signal. It's an ex-SP signal that was in/around the Ontario, CA yard. I'm trying to determine what indications it might have displayed. It's a pretty distinctive signal. The photo attached is its original location. Was it...
an approach signal?
at a crossover/double crossover?
at a single switch/diverging route

Thank you

Attachments

Those are searchlights. Each head can display Green, Red, Yellow (order of the roundels). So it could be G/R, or FY/R, Y/R, R/R, R/Y, R/FY, R/G, Y/Y. I'm guessing it was on a siding since it's a stub signal. More information is needed to know for sure.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
I've seen them used on sidings before or when clearances were close on mainlines. It would help to see the signal from the aspect side and the track it is protecting. The small pound rail next to it would indicate a yard or lite rail siding track and you said it was in the Ontario Yard area.

I guess I should've put more background info: I'm working on restoring this signal. I know it can display different indications but, fact is, it probably didn't display every possible combination (R/FR, FR/R, Y/G, R/FG plus the ones mentioned above). I was hoping someone local, or familiar with that area, could recall what the signal guarded or where the track lead out to.

...the answer

I guess I should've put more background info: I'm working on restoring this signal. I know it can display different indications but, fact is, it probably didn't display every possible combination (R/FR, FR/R, Y/G, R/FG plus the ones mentioned above). I was hoping someone local, or familiar with that area, could recall what the signal guarded or where the track lead out to.
After consulting with others in the area here's the answer to my own question. The signal was on a double track mainline, in Loma Linda, west of Colton. It guarded a set of crossovers. The next signal "down track" was a single head block signal so this stacked dwarf wasn't an approach signal, per se. That known, I'm going to exclude Y/Y, Y/G, R/FR, FR/R from the indications it will display.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com