Onboard the UP 50th Anniversary Train

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

prosu

We have seen lots of photos from the outside of the train, but how about some some photos from inside the train? Here are a few from inside the Columbine dome car!

Leaving Omaha we had to back out of the Durham Museum siding due to a frozen switch. They backed us over the Missouri River Bridge.

The cool art work on the Grain Elevator down by 32nd St.

First meet of the day. The snow from the roof of the car and the fog on the dome windows made photography a bit of a challenge!

From the open door on the "Foamers' Car!"

Leaving a smoky trail behind us!

Cameras popped out of everywhere anytime there was a curve that let us see 844.

Water Stop in Grand Island with lots of folks there to meet us.

One of the grain trains we passed earlier catches up to us in the Grand Island yard.

The 50th takes a green signal out on the triple track west of GI.

UP844 Highball out near MP193.

Steam in motion... Telephoto shots thru the curved glass of the dome combined with the motion of the car made for some challenging conditions!

This guy paced us the whole trip. He had cameras mounted on the luggage racks, and usually had cameras hanging out of all the windows!

Meets usually had lots of cameras out. The roar of a passing train from in the dome was exciting for someone who never had experienced it!

East of North Platte.

Rolling into Bailey yard, North Platte, NE.

Older power sitting by the grain bins.

Creeping in Bailey Yard just as the sun came out!

The E-9's waiting to take us back to Omaha.

This unit got a bit toasty.

Taking us over the Sheep Jump!

Say cheese!

View from some very rare mileage: Top of the Sheep Jump looking back east over Bailey Yard.

Hooked up to the Streamliners and ready to go!

Rail grinding train?

We were rocketing along behind the E-9's.

Passing a freight near Kearney, NE.

Back in Omaha!

Lots more can be found on my website at http://www.paleriderprod.com/UP50

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
awesome pictures. looks like one heck of a trip and one heck of a memory. i can't afford Amtrak tickets let alone the tickets for the UP excursion. thanks for the post.

prosu

Thanks guys! It was one heck of a trip, and I hope I can do it again soon!

Now if i just get off my rear and go out and take pics of all the trains like you guys do!

mille-ryan

Union Pacific Machinist
Great pics, bet it was a good time, Id love to be able to do it with my kids.

The photo labled east of North Platte is Brady ,NE...has a nice walking bridge going over the mainlines.
The other one downtown that was rail grinding train?, yea its a grinder, nasty dirty grinder. It comes through North Platte quite a lot and sits down there being serviced.

prosu

Great pics, bet it was a good time, Id love to be able to do it with my kids.

The photo labled east of North Platte is Brady ,NE...has a nice walking bridge going over the mainlines.
The other one downtown that was rail grinding train?, yea its a grinder, nasty dirty grinder. It comes through North Platte quite a lot and sits down there being serviced.
Thanks for the clarification! Brady, NE's bridge looked like a heck of a place to get some cool shots if you can work around the fence. I think there was another bridge like that back in an earlier town too, but I wasn't paying to much attention to the town names.

I am glad that UP has kept the steam program alive, and I sure as heck hope to be able to do that with my son when he is old enough!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.