Omaha/CB 4/11 thru 4/28

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Omaha/CB 4/11 thru 4/28

1. 4/11 Up is trying to give me a nice Birthday present as 949 is ready to depart.

2. 4/11 I wait and wait for my birthday present, but this is all I get...

3. 4/20 I wait for a passenger special in Elkhorn, however the train went through Blair instead... oh well, at least I got something

4. 4/21, a BNSF train of SBTX hoppers with covers heads north past a pair of parked KCS Locomotives

5. 4/21, Herzog train in the BNSF CB "yard".

6. 4/21, Same BNSF Train with the SBTX hoppers with covers. Like a coal car, but has some sort of removable cover.

7. 4/28, KCS Train switching cars in South Council Bluffs.

papio

Nice shots Brad. I believe those hoppers carry distiller's dried grains (DDGs), a byproduct of ethanol production. One use is as cattle feed/supplement.

R

RailfanRails

I believe those hoppers carry distiller's dried grains (DDGs), a byproduct of ethanol production. One use is as cattle feed/supplement.
Its wet....not dried. Used in animal feed. The tarp keeps the elements out.

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
Nice shots Brad. I believe those hoppers carry distiller's dried grains (DDGs), a byproduct of ethanol production. One use is as cattle feed/supplement.
Yes, that's what I was told, I get empties thru here, in fact, that's the exact same train I caught here westbound on April 7th

R

RailfanRails

Guess they don't know what they're selling!

http://www.greenfieldethanol.com/products_ddgs

Or what they're describing:

http://www.ddgs.umn.edu/more.htm
Two different types of distillers grain.

Wet is like silage and only a couple of plants actually ship this. Most is sold locally.

Transported in 110t Open top hopperes with a tarp cover:
Wet Corn Distillers’ Grains (WDG) help to bind other feed ingredients while improving overall palatability. By adjusting the amount of moisture present in feed, WDG is also used to improve digestion and increase total intake. With a higher energy concentration, lower cost and shorter shelf-life than DDGS, it is an attractive feed option for farmers in the vicinity of any GreenField plant.

Dry is like regular feed corn

Transported in 110t Cover Hoppers
Dried Corn Distillers’ Grains with Solubles (DDGS) is a medium fiber, high protein, high energy dry feed product with a good blend of minerals and nutrients. It functions as an economical partial replacement for corn or soybean meal in dairy, beef, swine and poultry feeds. DDGS can be stored for long periods of time and are available from every GreenField plant except Tiverton.

Nice pics Brad! The one east of Elkhorn on 4-20 was the MNCCB-20. I noted the switch stand and switch panel in the grass, was that the old switch for the lead that branched off the main and went into OPPD near 180th and Dodge?

Nice pics Brad! The one east of Elkhorn on 4-20 was the MNCCB-20. I noted the switch stand and switch panel in the grass, was that the old switch for the lead that branched off the main and went into OPPD near 180th and Dodge?
Thanks!

No, its from the old siding that ran between the two mains. OPPD is still in service.

papio

Two different types of distillers grain.

Wet is like silage and only a couple of plants actually ship this. Most is sold locally.

Transported in 110t Open top hopperes with a tarp cover:
Wet Corn Distillers’ Grains (WDG) help to bind other feed ingredients while improving overall palatability. By adjusting the amount of moisture present in feed, WDG is also used to improve digestion and increase total intake. With a higher energy concentration, lower cost and shorter shelf-life than DDGS, it is an attractive feed option for farmers in the vicinity of any GreenField plant.

Dry is like regular feed corn

Transported in 110t Cover Hoppers
Dried Corn Distillers’ Grains with Solubles (DDGS) is a medium fiber, high protein, high energy dry feed product with a good blend of minerals and nutrients. It functions as an economical partial replacement for corn or soybean meal in dairy, beef, swine and poultry feeds. DDGS can be stored for long periods of time and are available from every GreenField plant except Tiverton.
You are correct, my apologies.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com