NP 2626, the Timken in Portland, 1933

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
I bought a photo of the Timken (NP 2626) recently that has something I can't figure out. This is a shot taken while she was on display at Portland, Oregon, shortly after the NP acquired her in 1933.

The 3rd car back has me stumped! Any idea what railroad, and if so what colors was it?

Note the stairs up to the cab. Also, the Hoyt Hotel sign. This is where the railroaders stayed, at least in the 50's and 60's, when on the road.

Steve

Np2626

I bought a photo of the Timken (NP 2626) recently that has something I can't figure out. This is a shot taken while she was on display at Portland, Oregon, shortly after the NP acquired her in 1933.

The 3rd car back has me stumped! Any idea what railroad, and if so what colors was it?

Note the stairs up to the cab. Also, the Hoyt Hotel sign. This is where the railroaders stayed, at least in the 50's and 60's, when on the road.

Steve
Gawd what a beautiful locomotive. Anyone have any idea who the idiot was in NP management back in the 50's that resisted all efforts to save this magnificent beast, so we can curse their soul to all damnation? ;-)

Check out my brother's slightly larger than G-scale walnut hand-crafted model of the 2626 at http://www.cambridgewoodentoyco.com/cambridgewoodentoycoupdate112011_012.htm

She should have been saved!

The scrapping of the Timken was sheer idiocy. A great locomotive and she had a massive influence on just about everything that rolls on the rails.

Here's the blasphemy I'm performing on the black and white image.

This is still a work in progress, as I'm not real happy with the green on the passenger cars, not positive of the color of the AT&SF boxcar, and don't have a clue on that dang 3rd car!

Steve

Well, so far, I've posted this info on 5 different forums that have members that "should" know the answer. We have some very slight maybe it's a ..., but nothing even semi solid. Here's more detail of the car in question. Did solve the AT&SF car though, it's a reefer and should be dark reefer yellow with brown or faded black lettering! So, next version, that will get changed.

Remember that this is 1933. We are fairly positive it's not NP, GN, SP&S. It is likely a car from an eastern line, or at least that's the most solid opinion yet.

Don't ya just love a good mystery! It's an odd car, possibly experimental, very tall, straight sides, and something on the roof.

Steve

Steve

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
Gawd what a beautiful locomotive. Anyone have any idea who the idiot was in NP management back in the 50's that resisted all efforts to save this magnificent beast, so we can curse their soul to all damnation? ;-)
I do know more than a few people pushed hard to save the 2626 but it went nowhere of course. She was famous even in her own time, which explains why photos of her in service are pretty easy to find.

This is about the time RR's started experimenting with streamlining heavyweights,and coming out with variations of cars like that,just a guess but it might have something to with it.

This is about the time RR's started experimenting with streamlining heavyweights,and coming out with variations of cars like that,just a guess but it might have something to with it.
Not only that, but they were also experimenting with lightweight cars as well, and this could even be an early Pullman-Standard prototype.

In fact, I'm very sure I've seen photos of this car on one of the eastern roads somewhere; I just can't remember which one, much less when they were taken :confused:(grrr...). The window arrangement doesn't help much, either, as all of the cars I'd thought of as possible matches have paired windows, and this one doesn't appear to (from that angle, anyway). Pity there's no way to tell what the trucks were; that might have helped determine if it was a lightweight car or not, at any rate.

Interesting...

Why 2626 was Significant

Forgive my ignorance but why is NP 2626 significant?

April
It was also an exceptionally beautiful locomotive that performed exquisitely. It was a pioneer in the use of roller bearings, and put Timkin on the map for railroad applications. It travelled throughout the United States during its initial testing period, and IIRC, led several railroads to order Northerns for their own rosters. While it wasn't the first Northern, it is arguably the most famous during its lifetime. I'm sure many would argue that the 4449 and the 844 have eclipsed that now, just by having lived longer. It was a true tragedy of locomotive preservation that NP moved to scrap it so quickly after its retirement in 1957. I feel privileged to have been able ride behind it on several trips, including its last trip to Cle Elum.

LWB

The NP bought 4 coaches in 1935 that had a similar profile to the 3rd car back. Could the picture be mis-dated?
Larry Baxter

Timken photo date

In October of 1934, at her first major shopping at the South Tacoma Shops, she received, among other things, a standard NP headlight, which is quite distinctive, very different from the one in the photo. The tender sides were also straightened so she could carry more coal, as clearance was not a problem on the NP.

Here's how she looked in 1947, pretty much the same as after the 1934 shopping. Now she has a new problem, they just changed her to oil firing, and the drafting is wrong, so the fireman had a horrible time of it for several trips. My father took this photo at St. Claire, north of Olympia WA.

Steve

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.