Nostalgically Northwards - 4: Coypu, Chicken and Horseshoe-Curve (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Nostalgically Northwards - 3: Along Sázava River (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...lly-Northwards-3-Along-S%E1zava-River-(50-p-)

The video for this series (please set to 1080p quality / full-screen mode):
https://youtu.be/tDUKnuONDrY

October 9 2016

At Ledecko, we took the train for a change and visited the already known spot between Sázava-Cerné Budy and Samopse on track-level.
nordnos401.jpg

Next, the train took the right line to Kolín at Rataje nad Sázavou junction behind the Sázava bridge.
nordnos402.jpg

We had scouted this spot before and named the horseshoe-curve after the animals found here: http://raildata.info/nordnos/nordnos403x.jpg

The same scene on video: https://youtu.be/pgUaiD6yv0I?t=30m37s

nordnos403.jpg

Spontaneous photo opportunity including a passing old-timer at Hate led by the very swift local railphoto-enthusiast-crew.
nordnos404.jpg

We caught the train several more times, like here on the Viaduct pres Polepské údolí near Cervené Pecky.
nordnos405.jpg

September 16 2016

In this report we continue somewhere else, with an unequal race at Prague main station featuring R 980 "Lipnice" from Brno just a few weeks prior.
nordnos406.jpg

Caught it!
nordnos407.jpg

A train had been shunted...
nordnos408.jpg

... "Otik" approached...
nordnos409.jpg

... something historical for over a year: CityNightLine Prague - Zurich.
nordnos410.jpg

I only took it to Riesa that evening, the following photos from narrow gauge charters at Oschatz will be shown in a "Nostalgically Northwards"-special soon.
nordnos411.jpg

May 19 2017

Next time "nostalgically northwards" I started by EuroNight "Metropol" from Vienna towards Berlin, which also does not run anymore since the recent timetable change a week ago.
nordnos412.jpg

May 20 2017

I had a deluxe sleeper compartment to myself, due to a delay after a disruption during the night I could enjoy my breakfast as we only arrived at Dresden at 9 a.m.
nordnos413.jpg

My further plan: a Tanago photo event at museum loco shed Wittenberge from Saturday to Sunday afternoon featuring GDR-era steamers 50 3570 and 50 3682, plus plenty of enthusiasts volunteering as extras in a historic setting.
nordnos414.jpg

nordnos415.jpg

nordnos416.jpg

We also moved to the tracks out of the yard, notice the second loco in the background.
nordnos417.jpg

nordnos418.jpg

nordnos419.jpg

nordnos420.jpg

nordnos421.jpg

May 21 2017

During this trip, I had booked three accommodations featuring rail views: Sunday morning I caught EuroCity 173 "Hungaria" Hamburg - Budapest in front of my station quarters Bad Wilsnack – formerly station building and only recently adorned with frescoes of the village history.
nordnos422.jpg

After 9 o'clock, we started again at the shed.
nordnos423.jpg

nordnos424.jpg

Lunch break.
nordnos425.jpg

I left a little early and continued my trip further north. In this picture you can spot my next accommodation: "Villa Sommer" just next to Bad Doberan narrow gauge station. A few moments after I had arrived by Desiro DMU from Wismar, 99 2324 was encountered shunting.
nordnos426.jpg

Villas and street running along Goethestraße.
nordnos427.jpg

Surprisingly car-free scene in front of Prinzenpalais.
nordnos428.jpg

May 22 2017

Bad Doberan at 6:30 in the morning:
Regionalbahn 13106 Rostock - Wismar and 13107 Wismar - Tessin both arriving on platform 1, then the Desiro towards Tessin took the passing loop. To the left narrow gauge diesel 199 014 "Otto", built in 1962, was shunting coaches at the "Molli" depot.
nordnos429.jpg

A bus took me to Heiligendamm. The home signal from Bad Doberan probably is the last with "negatively" painted semaphore arm in Germany. The weekday-only early "Molli" commuter train departed at 7:05.
nordnos430.jpg

Heiligendamm seaside resort, as "commoner" you had to walk around the luxury hotel to get to the beach, also setting for a NATO summit a few years back.
nordnos431.jpg

Heiligendamm is the scheduled meeting point for trains of the Mecklenburgische Bäderbahn: MBB 14613 to Bad Doberan to the right, the engine crew of which is greeting arriving MBB 14612 to Ostseebad Kühlungsborn West.
nordnos432.jpg

nordnos433.jpg

May 26 2017

A few days later, I visited a friend living in Bremen.
nordnos434.jpg

GT6 3561 was the only old tram unit spotted that Friday evening (and further weekend).
nordnos435.jpg

During a cycling tour to Überseestadt on May 27 2017 I managed to capture these rail images:
EVB 266 001 (ex 304 51 / MaK #500041 / built in 1966) and 365 130 (ex V 60 1130 / MaK #600445 / built in 1963) in front of Roland Mill.
nordnos436.jpg

On a Thursday holiday, May 25 2017, I enjoyed the bustle at Hamburg harbour.
nordnos437.jpg

On May 26 2017, I travelled to Bremen via Cuxhaven. Shortly before departure, this nostalgic class 218 passed Hamburg main station.
nordnos438.jpg

I spent May 22 - 25 2017 along the Marschbahn to Westerland (Sylt).

My hotel "Klanxbüller Stuben" once more featured a view of the line, RE 11011 Westerland - Hamburg passed by at 6:45 a.m.. DB had taken back over the regional train operator contract on this railway at the beginning of the year, so colourfully mixed replacement compositions were in service.
nordnos439.jpg

The first morning, I took the earliest train from Klanxbüll to Morsum on Sylt and after a brisk walk just reached a 5:30 sunrise at Hindenburgdamm. A class 245 was approaching with the first Sylt-Shuttle of the day, train 1400.
nordnos441.jpg

I have never seen as many wild rabbits as on Sylt - hundreds of them, you could have just picked them up.
nordnos442.jpg

I moved on south: a class 245 with push-pull composition as RB 11923 Heide (Holstein) - Itzehoe on the 7276 feet long Hochdonn high bridge opened in 1920 across the Kiel Canal.
nordnos443.jpg

Bus stop Dreeßenweg at Hochdonn with InterCity 2315 "Deichgraf" Westerland - Frankfurt.
nordnos444.jpg

IC 2311 "Nordfriesland" Westerland - Stuttgart on the very busy single track section behind Klanxbüll often causing delays.
nordnos445.jpg

At Niebüll, I met the international connection towards Danmark - you can guess where this series is going to continue.

At Lehnshallig passing loop between Niebüll and Klanxbüll, the signalmen protected garbage bin lids against the North Frisian winds with a heavy brick. One of the Sylt-Shuttles also was hauled by class 218s.
nordnos446.jpg

Back at Klanxbüll in evening light.
nordnos447.jpg

Only once I spotted a Eurorunner class loco, ER 20-001 sporting a provisional "DB-cookie" logo.
nordnos440.jpg

nordnos448.jpg

Even at 9:15 p.m., holidaymakers still were travelling towards Sylt island Wednesday evening.
nordnos449.jpg

See you next time! :0)
nordnos450.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back