Nostalgically Northwards - 2: A Four Wheeler at Four Wheels (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Nostalgically Northwards - 1: Signalman Fido (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...algically-Northwards-1-Signalman-Fido-(50-p-)

The video for this series (please set to 1080p quality / full-screen mode):
https://youtu.be/pgUaiD6yv0I

October 7 2016

We waited for the steam photo charter to depart Praha-Vysehrad - some of the group hoped it would approach on the left track, but I liked it better that way.
nordnos201.jpg

The Kriegslok steaming towards the Vysehrad Vltava (German "Moldau") River bridge.
nordnos202.jpg

July 6 2014

A unique perspective can be gained by using boat ferry line P5, which is part of the public transport network in Prague and can be used with standard tickets: http://www.praha5.cz/cs/dokument/210710-privoz-p5-cisarska-louka-vyton-naplavka-smichov
nordnos203.jpg

From Devín hill, I captured this view of the bridge with the "Prazský Motorácek" diesel unit just crossing it towards "Prague Semmering".
nordnos204.jpg

On this side of the Vltava, the line accesses a separate part of Praha-Smíchov station: "severní nástupiste" or "northern platform", which is quite secluded and merely consists of some goods sheds: https://goo.gl/maps/Xr4br2f8XuM2
nordnos205.jpg

nordnos206.jpg

To the right the main platforms of Smíchov, to the left the "Motorácek" leaving the "northern platform".
nordnos207.jpg

Regiojet second-hand coaches are being serviced here, their ÖBB heritage still is clearly visible.
nordnos208.jpg

I also came across former DB 628 246 - now Arriva 845/945.001 -, behind it an ex-DB class 610, in the background part of Prague Castle.
nordnos209.jpg

Even a bigger oddity was Praha-Smíchov Na Knízecí terminal platform, sadly it is not in operation anymore since December 2016. Local services via Prague Semmering to Hostivice departed from here.
nordnos210.jpg

Tram connections.
nordnos211.jpg

nordnos212.jpg

On October 7 2016 our charter steamed uphill - below the viaduct is another line: Prague - Most.
nordnos213.jpg

On July 6 2014 I was also standing on the 1565 ft long bridge of the tram line Hlubocepy – Barrandov newly opened in 2003.
nordnos214.jpg

July 6 is Jan Hus Day in Czechia - for the national holiday, trams were decorated with flags.
nordnos215.jpg

Moving up Prague Semmering: from Praha-Zvahov halt you can climb Devín.
nordnos216.jpg

A view with nostalgic diesel unit: Smíchov, where it came from, to the right, Prague Castle to the centre of the backdrop.
nordnos217.jpg

I enjoyed a sunset there on July 4 2014.
nordnos218.jpg

Early morning on July 6 2014 provided this view from Hlávkuv most.
nordnos219.jpg

nordnos220.jpg

On weekends, nostalgic line #91 (this year #41) was operating, here with unit #2110 (Ringhoffer / built in 1928).
nordnos221.jpg

M262.1212 had crossed the Semmering at Praha-Zlicín - time to move on.
nordnos222.jpg

October 7 2016

Next, we returned to Jenec - ahead of the 555.0153 charter an SD coal train came through, hauled by CZ Loko "EffiShunter 1000" 744.001.
nordnos223.jpg

An airline popular with British rail bashers was landing at Václav Havel Airport.
nordnos224.jpg

R 1226 to Rakovník rushed past us.
nordnos225.jpg

Then the Kriegslok departed - some photographers had strategically disguised a concrete crash barrier.
nordnos226.jpg

nordnos227.jpg

nordnos228.jpg

Entering Unhost' – edit: mobile phone masts on top of the old warehouse.
nordnos229.jpg

Exiting Unhost'.
nordnos230.jpg

nordnos231.jpg

Near Kacice, we walked the final bit to the line not to get stuck in the mud.
nordnos232.jpg

The train again in the distance.
nordnos233.jpg

Before reaching Rynholec halt, this bridge had to be crossed.
nordnos234.jpg

At Revnicov, I saw maintenance of classic CSD bell-shaped lamps for the first time (see video at minute 12:50).
nordnos235.jpg

nordnos236.jpg

nordnos237.jpg

nordnos238.jpg

nordnos239.jpg

Shunting back into Luzná railway museum at the end of a successful photo charter day.
nordnos240.jpg

nordnos241.jpg

We drove on the motorway to the eastern end of Prague in darkness, some of the group had booked at Kácov brewery. A friend and I stayed at "Hotel Rabbit" in nearby Trhový Stepánov, terminal of a branchline from Benesov - the station was right next to the accommodation.
nordnos242.jpg

The “breadbasket” unit and we went to sleep.
nordnos243.jpg

October 8 2016

Next morning, we caught the next class 810 along Sázava River near Cercany: Os 9221 towards Zruc nad Sázavou at dawn.
nordnos244.jpg

434.2186 "Ctyrkolák" ("Four Wheeler") - the star of the following two days - steamed past us with a freight train. Incidentally this shot was taken at Ctyrkoly (German: "Vierrad", English "Four Wheels").
nordnos245.jpg

We caught the steamer again departing Hvezdonice. Class 434.2 had been developed from Austro-Hungarian kkStB class 170 and was in regular service until 1980. 434.2186 had been constructed in 1916/7 as kkStB 170.323 and rebuilt in 1936.
nordnos246.jpg

During the energetic departure from Samechov, the high cloud cover showed gaps.
nordnos247.jpg

nordnos248.jpg

Next, the train was about to travel along the most spectacular section Sázava (in this case a town) - Ledecko twice. First, we tried it from down at the river - you could not see much of the train, but I liked the image with the anglers even without railway.
nordnos249.jpg

No hurry, it's a photo charter - see you next time! :)
nordnos250.jpg

Great pics; always glad to see steam running!

I have never liked the look of European motive power

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back