Niles Canyon Railway Southern Pacific SP 9010 the ONLY Krauss-Maffei Munchen left

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG

Our SP 9010 volunteers are a hard working lot...

In the picture of the newly painted Skunk Car M200 Hoard Wise is standing with his son Brian Wise. Brian 30 years prior had operated the M200 when the NCRY/PLA ran the first passenger service on the 1.6 miles of track from Brightside Yard to Sunol.

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG

After the radiators were placed onto the SP 9010 the space opened up for the back hood to come out for surface work and painting.

Here is how it was placed in the space where the engine hood had been. The engine hood moved back to where the radiator hood sat.

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG

Almost as soon as the engine hood touched the floor Howard wanted the clean up to commence. Happy to oblige!

DSC_0028.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG

More work on the engine hood. Those large round circles up there were installed by SP after they took out the oil-bath filters first installed in the Krauss.

DSC_0128.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0132.JPG

Everything on the 9010 must be visually correct by May 10, 2019. More work was needed to be done on the engine hood doors, edges, roof and another 8 hour day was put in cleaning these up.

DSC_0135.JPG
DSC_0138.JPG
DSC_0141.JPG
DSC_0143.JPG

Dang! I hate it when this happens. At least I did not break it.

Of course I had to find Howard to help me loosen the nuts on the light to release the needles from the entrapping part.

DSC_0149.JPG
DSC_0150.JPG

Remember this?? It luckily did not break!

Well about one hour later while cleaning the rear door hood it did! The needles got stuck in that little hole and the hammer that drives the gun broke off.

DSC_0149.JPG
DSC_0183.JPG
DSC_0186.JPG

Engine hood work almost completed....

Doors cleaned and to be sent to the sand blaster (professional) and painted.

DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Primered at the sand blasting shop. Doors primered at shop, inside of hood primered by Howard in the Car Barn.

Installed and straightened by Howard and Bill.

DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG

Hand brake work for the new hand brake. The SP took off the original brake from where it was installed inside the cab and placed one outside on the Engineers side at the rear.

Bill is the machinist who has created all of the work for this hand brake his work is exceptional!!!!

DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

Engine of the Krauss-Maffei

Howard and I had a disagreement (first one!) on whether the engine (motor) needed to be cleaned up and painted?

Color is Maybach Green

Since I am the one doing the work I convinced him it would work out fine.

What do you think so far?

DSC_0499.JPG
DSC_0503.JPG

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back