NCRC and Ord, NE

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
Traveled along the NCRC Ord Sub as it paralleled NE Highway 11 from Elba, NE (40 miles NW of Grand Island) to its terminus in Ord, NE.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ord,+NE&hl=en&gl=us&z=13
Caught them on Maintenance day as a ballast train was north-bound with equipment leading and following it.
Caught the ballast train in the middle of a monsoon-like rain storm. Would've caught more pictures if the weather had cooperated.

Then caught this south-bound grain and ethanol train at North Loup which made me wonder, was the ballast train going to back up all the way back to Grand Island to let this train through?

Got to Ord and saw the yard was empty (had an ACe sitting in it a few weeks back) but decided to do some exploring. Saw this old flat-car and grain car sitting outside the fairgrounds. Both looked like they had been there for quite sometime. Any ideas what the spur tracks into the fairgrounds were used for?

Past the grain elevator on the edge of town, the track is very rarely used. I can only remember seeing the downtown elevator being serviced. The tracks show signs of the lack of traffic.

End of the line north of downtown.

The CB&Q used to service Ord before running up to Burwell (where I'm from). I've decided Burwell would be so much cooler if the old BN green were still in town. Location of the old diamond where BN met NCRC line in Ord.

The old BN ROW is where that green shed stands, that would be my guess. I'm no historian so if I'm wrong here, please correct me.

I wonder if this little piece is BN or NCRC?

Anyone have a clue what this is? It's near where the old diamond was.

NCRC rail dated 1947.

NCRC downtown trackage.

Old BN ROW heading out of Ord to the Northwest on towards Elyria and Burwell.

Thanks for looking.

R

RailfanRails

LGEX ballast cars? They are along way from home rails. Thanks for the shots gives me the urge to venture out and do some fanning.

I remember quite a few years back watching the UP MOW crews replace all the rail on the Ord sub. Sat on the porch in Elba watching them mag up all the old OTM. Even seen them move the bridge across the Loup in ST. Paul. Man, that's been years ago. Yep, me old stomping grounds up there. The old sign is a UP piece, but unknown what it may have read.

Is that flat car an old Gunderson car? Ever seen one, the whole body is a single casting! Somewhere I have pics of them arriving as kits at the Omaha shops.

R

RailfanRails

Is that flat car an old Gunderson car? Ever seen one, the whole body is a single casting! Somewhere I have pics of them arriving as kits at the Omaha shops.
Appears to be a cast flat car, wonder what the build date is on it?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.