My journey to working on the railroad.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

MissouriStray

I had an interview with Norfolk Southern in May. I drove to Sheffield, Alabama which is 4 hrs away and they stressed right off if you live outside Alabama then we are wasting our time. I'm like, I'm willing to relocate, but I was not picked. They seemed a bit against anyone farther away compared to other Class 1 railroads. So I decided to move on to other railroads.

I've found that shortlines are the hardest to get on. Not one ever asked for an interview even if they were close to me.

Union Pacific never has anything close to me. Usually pretty far away and I'm not afraid to relocate as long as it's within 4 to 5 hours away.

So, anyway I decided to try BNSF as they had something 2 1/2 hrs away in Illinois in no time I got an interview next week.

Then I had forgotten about putting in an App for Canadian Pacific and suddenly I had an interview with them for Kansas City. So I did the interview, but and waiting to hear back but I want BNSF, so I may turn down CP if they give me an offer.

The interviews are not really that hard as long as you are prepared and know about the company, especially safety and willingness to work in what they require. I'm not tied down and my kid is grown, so I have nothing holding me back.

Hopefully I get hired by BNSF.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back