MHz setting question

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

URI

I have a Yaesu FT270R, and I love it, but I wonder if I hhave it set for the right MHz setting? I only use mine for railroads. I can select 1MHz 2MHz 5MHz PMS-x and ALL.

I have it set at all, because I'm not sure what's best. I tried a search on the forum, but didn't find anything. I'm not a radio guy, so I'm a bit confused while trying to get the most out of my radio.

Iwould appreciate some guidence here. Thank you.

Railroad Scanning

I'm a little confused with the 1 MHz, 2Mhz, etc, so let me add some info then ask a question.

The FCC has assigned the 160.000 to 162.000 MHZ band to the railroads. The AAR has divided it up into 100 channels that various railroads use. For one example, in Nebraska, BNSF uses AAR channel 87 which is found at 161.415 MHZ. Others in my area are AAR Channel 42 (160.740).

If you do not know what channels railroads in your are use, then go to the AAR website get a list of the channels and program all 100 Frequencies into your scanner and see what you hear. If your scanner can scan a whole range then program it to scan 160 to 162 MHZ.

Are you able to program a specific frequency(like 161.415) into the radio?
Do you need help finding which frequencies or AAR channels are used in your area?

Which railroads do you want to listen too?

I'll help you if I can.

URI

I have all my channels banked, I hear them, I think I may have confused myself by the MHz setting. I think I read it som many times I just blurred my thought process.

I have 4 banks set up for my areas, I think I'm good. I think (could be wrong) the MHz settings were for scanning in those frequencies.

Thanks for the help.

continued

Yeah, I think you set yours up about the same as I did. I put the 100 channels in 4 banks and let it scan. As it stops on a radio phone or some noisy nothing channel then I lock that one out and eventually get a group that makes sense.

Sounds like you got a handle on it.

I have found the scanner to be most useful for telling me which trains I just missed. :)

roee

This has nothing to do with normal scanning. It is just if you are scanning all frequencies. If you want to go +/- 1, 2, or 5 Mhz.

URI

Yeah, I think you set yours up about the same as I did. I put the 100 channels in 4 banks and let it scan. As it stops on a radio phone or some noisy nothing channel then I lock that one out and eventually get a group that makes sense.

Sounds like you got a handle on it.

I have found the scanner to be most useful for telling me which trains I just missed. :)
Hehe, I love the trains I miss :mad:

URI

This has nothing to do with normal scanning. It is just if you are scanning all frequencies. If you want to go +/- 1, 2, or 5 Mhz.
Yeah, that's where I confused myself reading the manual. I love how these things can make you feel smart, and um, not so smart :D

CSX AC6000CW

CJ the P&A Sub RailFan
Just to let yall know the Railroads are going to Narrow band 12.5 khz (the railroad channel steps goes from 15 to 7.5 khz ) to double the channel count Will take place on 2013. Most ham gear doesen't have the 7.5 khz step but you should hear them still but with less audio .

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com