Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yard Limit

August 5, 2017. With a heads up, I heard that a Northeast Regional Cafe Car was on Amtrak 4, the EB Southwest Chief. Anything unusual on an Amtrak train is worth going trackside to see. Having followed the progress of number 4 all day, it became apparent to me that it was possible that a slightly late Amtrak 3, the westbound Southwest Chief might be coming through Bernalillo, NM at the same time. It’s very rare that these two trains meet in Bernalillo but when I heard on the scanner that 3 was going to be held in Bernalillo for 4 and the southbound Railrunner, I knew I was in luck. I decided to set up at the Downtown Bernalillo station, although there were two other very good possibilities.
When 3 came past the 550 station I thought he would continue south to West Bernalillo where the signals are, but he slowed down and stopped right in front of me! This incredible act of kindness meant that I could see 4 pass him in a perfect spot. One of the crew opened the door and asked me if I was getting good pictures and I told him I definitely was, especially since he stopped his train in the perfect spot for me. There’s no question that he did this deliberately and I thank the crew for doing that!
A short time later, 4 came north past 3 and I got some great video of them passing, in addition to the Café Car. Three moved on toward Albuquerque and 4 stopped at East Bernalillo to wait for the southbound Railrunner.
This was one of those times when the Train Gods smiled on us and I appreciate the chat with 3’s crew member, and the nice waves from 4 and the Railrunner engineer.

It's a new siding built for the New Mexico Railfunner when they built the downtown Bernalillo, NM station several years ago. You can see the station in the picture with me waving at the crew of Amtrak 4.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back