May have lost 2 yesterday.Gadsden,alabama

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Freighttrain611

A CP Huntington park train derailed here in Gadsden injuring over a dozen people. They have 2 trains but pending the actual cause,I wouldn't put it past the city to retire the line. It was in rough shape wednesday when I rode it with my family when they came in from the other side of the nation.2 people said the train was out of control when it rolled over on a curve. One person said the whistle stuck open and by the time the engineer got it closed the air was empty and the train had no brakes. I thought they had automatic brakes like a semi truck that applied if air is lost.But here is a link to the article.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/news/20...after-train-overturns-at-noccalula-falls-park

I'm not sure on the older Chance Ride engines, but the one that we have (serial 262) has a low air pressure automatic brake. I'm kind of thinking that the driver was likely paying attention to the stuck whistle and was standing to reach it when he should have been operating the brake lever to slow the train as it entered the curve. The distance between the whistle and air brake lever prevents doing both things at the same time.

Charley

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back