Manual Turntable

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Dick H

We've all hears of turntables, but what do you do when you don't have one?
The Iyo Railway in Matsuyama, Japan has a rather ingenious solution. I call it a man-table.

Here's how it works.

A train heads toward the terminus at Dogo Onsen.

1) The train stops just before the switch for the crossing to go outbound. The cars are uncoupled.

2) The engine continues to the Pivot point, a special pad between the rails. A pivot is lowered from the engine and it raises it off the tracks.

3) The men push the engine around 180 degrees, then retract the pivot.

4) The engine is driven onto the crossing track and the cars are pushed down to just past the switch.

5) The engine is reversed and is re-coupled to the cars.

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
That's pretty much how we do it with some of the MOW track machines, unlock the turn table, the hydraulic cylinder drops the table, lifts the machine, then give it a spin by hand but the turn table has to be on a pair of good solid ties, and be on tangent track too.

Reminds me of one of the photos on John Allen's HO scale layout in the 1950's. The photo showed a very large man pushing a rail car and told how much more work they were getting done now that they had hired an O scale brakeman.

Interesting. This is how we turn my ballast regulator. Exact same thing. I see they have spiked rail, but no tie plates? I know,I know, but us track guys notice stuff like that!

Dick H

Interesting. This is how we turn my ballast regulator. Exact same thing. I see they have spiked rail, but no tie plates? I know,I know, but us track guys notice stuff like that!
And us other guys have no idea of what you're talking about. :)
We (at least I) also have no idea what a ballast regulator is, but it sounds impressive.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com