Making use of a cloudy day

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
All through the week the weather forecasters predicted a weekend that included sun. Mostly sunny, partly cloudy or at worst partly sunny but all included sun and that would do. Saturday arrived with a boring flat sky, haze at the horizon and snow expected. I decided not to waste the day and try a few spots I’ve considered in the past but skipped.

5686 is leading westbound on the old GTW west of Schoolcraft MI. Other than when the corn is up, this view seemed dull. On the plus it is unencumbered by power lines, those evil little orange underground cable posts and other clutter. Composition wise what would you do different?

8812 is eastbound at Schoolcraft crossing the Grand Elk. On a sunny day this would be on the shadow side so its potential is for cloudy days. To the right are trees and a row of power poles. This is as much of the depot as you get without a pole in view. Looking at it now I’m thinking closer to the depot and maybe a shorter focal length (this is 80mm).

2230 leads another eastbound at Schoolcraft crossing US131. I’d looked at the view several times but always skipped it as it seems cluttered. But with a dull sky I decided to shoot it and see what it looked like. I’m curious what anyone else would try with this view.

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
I would try to minimize the sky in photos on days like that. Your shots look like they maximize the amount of sky in the photo. I know sometimes it just won't work out to keep the sky to a minimum.

Bill

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
I would try to minimize the sky in photos on days like that. Your shots look like they maximize the amount of sky in the photo. I know sometimes it just won't work out to keep the sky to a minimum.

Bill
I had a sunny day mind set and put the horizon somewhere near center. Mostly I was thinking test shots and come back on a sunny day. Over by the depot though I began to think compsition for a cloudy day.

I agree...to much sky.

Shoot from above if you can...
I actually have been looking for a folding step ladder that would fit in the truck of my car.

Thanks all...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.