Living large at Grass Lake

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

A large eastbound grinds its way up to the summit at Grass Lake, California in February of 2003. There was nothing like seeing the I-5 corridor filled with monster trains during the better days of the economy.

Very nice shot! My wife and I hope to get up that direction this summer for some train photography. We are from the Sacramento, CA area so not too far.
It's been a few years since we traveled hwy-97 but according to the map it's right off the highway. Is there a detector near by?
Bob

Grass Lake

Very nice shot! My wife and I hope to get up that direction this summer for some train photography. We are from the Sacramento, CA area so not too far.
It's been a few years since we traveled hwy-97 but according to the map it's right off the highway. Is there a detector near by?
Bob
There are several detectors in the nearby vicinity, and the UP/SP line is very close to US97 at Grass Lake. But don't neglect the line between Black Butte and Grass Lake. There are a number of dirt side roads that will take you up to the line, under the big bridge north of Black Butte, and there are access roads that parallel the railroad to take you to even greater places. If you get on the uphill side of the line, you can get some great photos with the whole valley in the background. Fun place to play!

There are several detectors in the nearby vicinity, and the UP/SP line is very close to US97 at Grass Lake. But don't neglect the line between Black Butte and Grass Lake. There are a number of dirt side roads that will take you up to the line, under the big bridge north of Black Butte, and there are access roads that parallel the railroad to take you to even greater places. If you get on the uphill side of the line, you can get some great photos with the whole valley in the background. Fun place to play!
Thanks for the info. I'm at work so I don't have my timetable available. I tried to "google" detectors all kinds of different ways but couldn't find anything.
It sounds like we can easily spend an entire day exploring "new to us" areas.
It will also get us out of the CA central valley heat!
Bob

Black Butte Area

Thanks for the info. I'm at work so I don't have my timetable available. I tried to "google" detectors all kinds of different ways but couldn't find anything.
It sounds like we can easily spend an entire day exploring "new to us" areas.
It will also get us out of the CA central valley heat!
Bob
Try to get a copy of the Altamont timetable that covers that area - it will give you all the detector locations. Also, a good set of maps - either a state atlas or Metsker maps by county, to show the access roads into the railroad from US97. IIRC, that's Siskiyou and Shasta counties but the Metsker website shows these all out of print. Bummer!

Try to get a copy of the Altamont timetable that covers that area - it will give you all the detector locations. Also, a good set of maps - either a state atlas or Metsker maps by county, to show the access roads into the railroad from US97. IIRC, that's Siskiyou and Shasta counties but the Metsker website shows these all out of print. Bummer!
Yes I have the Altamont time table however I'm at work so I was trying to find info on line but never did. Gotta deal with customers!
Also on my way there I would also like to get some shots of salt creek bridge going over Shasta. Last time we were there was a Sunday and no traffic for the 3 or so hours we were there.
Thanks! Bob

FYI, the publising arm of Metsker Maps has been out of business since 1997, so any of their maps will probably be somewhat out of date! :eek:

A good alternative would probably be Compass Maps. I haven't used the maps covering Shasta and Siskiyou counties, but they should show the roads you'll want to use and they're fairly cheap as well ($4.95 for the fold-out maps); you can order from their website at http://www.compass-maps.com/index.html (the Redding-Red Bluff and Shasta-Cascade maps are the ones you'll need to order).

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com