Lincoln, NE question

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
So I'm a big sports fanatic especially when it comes to the Nebraska Cornhuskers. While driving through town to go to my many stops before going to the game, we crossed the railroad tracks that go right through the 56th and Old Cheney:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=L...625&longitude=-96.644365&geocode=INTERSECTION

My question is this: what is the purpose of these tracks nowadays? Were they the route taken to bring the coal down to Nebraska City by BNSF when they still hauled it? Does this line get used much anymore?

nordique72

Displaced CNW Fan
Yes, that is the former CBQ line to Nebraska City that the NPPX coal trains used to use many years back. I know the line from the east side of Lincoln to Nebraska City was purchased by Nebraska Power to prevent it from being torn out- I'm not aware of any customers on the line and as far as I know it's been dormant the last 9 years since the coal stopped running that way.

Nebraska city Line

My 1998 Altamont press Timetable calls it the Nebraska City Sub and shows:
Arbor(4.2),
Nebraska city, UP crossing(0.7/5.7) ,
Elberon(10.8),
Dunbar(16.0),
Syracuse(27.3),
Unadilla(32.4),
Palmyra(39.1),
Bennet(45.7),
Cheney(52.3),
College view(57.1),
Hill St. Jct(61.2)

Seems to me Kyle RR ran it for a little bit. I think there is still a semaphore east of 27th st. maybe 35th st.?

Also noted in the timetable that BNSF trains use UP track at Nebraska City MP 435.6 to MP 435.9.

If somebody gets to Nebraska city, see if those two EMD Gps or SDs are still at the elevator along the river.

About what?

About what? Ardmore? Arbor? Pretty similar. What's in a name?

I don't think a train has run there in a while, I'll have to ask some Lincolnites that I know. It's a curvy line through the hills. It would make a heckofa tourist line for a little Q steamer and 2 coaches, But I digress.

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
Yes, that is the former CBQ line to Nebraska City that the NPPX coal trains used to use many years back. I know the line from the east side of Lincoln to Nebraska City was purchased by Nebraska Power to prevent it from being torn out- I'm not aware of any customers on the line and as far as I know it's been dormant the last 9 years since the coal stopped running that way.
That is correct. That is known as the Ardmore line from Lincoln to Nebraska City. BNSF use to run coal over this line until the UP got the contract. 99.9% of the OMAX coal goes down the Falls City Sub in Omaha from Gilmore Avenue to Nebraska City. Currently I do not know how long the UP has the contract. The trains are set to a 2 by 1 configuration as they come and go. Hope this helps.
My 1998 Altamont press Timetable calls it the Nebraska City Sub and shows:
Arbor(4.2),
Nebraska city, UP crossing(0.7/5.7) ,
Elberon(10.8),
Dunbar(16.0),
Syracuse(27.3),
Unadilla(32.4),
Palmyra(39.1),
Bennet(45.7),
Cheney(52.3),
College view(57.1),
Hill St. Jct(61.2)

Seems to me Kyle RR ran it for a little bit. I think there is still a semaphore east of 27th st. maybe 35th st.?

Also noted in the timetable that BNSF trains use UP track at Nebraska City MP 435.6 to MP 435.9.

If somebody gets to Nebraska city, see if those two EMD Gps or SDs are still at the elevator along the river.
Thanks for the info guys! It's always been a question I've had and being in Lincoln the other day just re-jogged my memory! I followed it on Google maps and it does certainly look windy and curvy. I don't consider this a good source for its usage, but while following it on Google using the satellite you can see an empty coal heading back to Lincoln with its 2-1 setup just northwest of the town of Dunbar. I would assume the satellite pic was taken within the previous few years so I don't know if that points to anything or not. Anywho, thanks guys!

nordique72

Displaced CNW Fan
The KYLE was designated to be the "shortline" operator of the line after NPPD bought it- but they never operated any trains. I had a summer job about six years ago just off HWY 2 on the south side and I passed by this line every day- I recall seeing one coal train early one morning, and a couple times the local came out and switched the grain elevator by Van Dorn Park. I remember wanting so badly to call in sick to work so I could follow the coalie, but I figured that wouldn't be a good idea. The line was uncompensated grades with a very roller coaster type profile. It would have been a very interesting chase into the sun of that train!
As for Nebraska City- I'm not sure what the "UP Crossing" is that the timetable talks about. The CBQ came into town from the west and parallels the UP for a short stretch, then vaults up and over them on an overpass (once part of the Missouri River bridge approach- the bridge long since removed). On the approach there was a secondary line that ran south from Nebraska City, via Peru down to Salem where it connected with the line from Lincoln that crosses the river at Rulo- the remnant of this branch is what the NPPD power plant was built on. The river approach has been completely restructured in the layout since the bridge was torn out- at one time the secondary line broke off to the north, crossed the UP (then MP) and looped under the CBQ it just split off from, then angled south along the river. Nowadays- the line is stubbed, and the BNSF accesses it via that short stretch of UP trackage rights to the switch at the former diamond to reach the grain terminal on the river (where those Geeps are/were). The old bridge approach meanwhile was rebuilt to be the lead to the power plant- it now is graded down and curves south where it connects to the branch (you can see this on the satellite view still) and continues to the power plant. The UP/BNSF connection which is just west of where the BNSF goes over the UP, is also where the UP seesaws their coal trains onto the BNSF to get to the plant- the advent of DPU technology is what got the UP into the power plant which made the seesaw possible.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com