Lhoist North American (Crab Orchard,TN-Rockwood,TN) 10/6/2017

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Paid a visit to the Lhoist North American short line in Tennessee today. They interchange with NS at Rockwood,TN and haul rock from a quarry in Crab Orchard. The line uses several high hood GE's which are due to be retired next year.

Lhoist North American #4023 East, Ozone,TN 10/6/2017 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
IMG_7428 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Lhoist North American #4023, Westel,TN 10/6/2017 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
IMG_7463 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
IMG_7492 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
IMG_7501 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Anderson

Honestly I'm not sure. It's right past the tunnel, maybe it has something to do with that.
You may be right, it has the shape of a tunnel bore. Is it standing on a siding or on the ground?

The countryside looks like it will be beautiful in the fall once the leaves have turned. Long time members know that I am always asking for autumn photos. I hope you will return trackside for photos of autumn leaves and those old GE units before both are gone.

The inside of the tunnel does look pretty good for being on a short line:
IMG_7432 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

From what I've found, apparently they had a few issues with the tunnel caving in within the past few years, so that device was used for the tunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com