Lens filter question

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

ohle

Just purchased a Hoya Pro1 67mm digital filter for my Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) lens I use on my Canon T1i DSLR.

Haven't used the filter yet.
Am curious if this kind of UV filter will help remove distracting brightness or shine like seen on these photos.

The photos were taken a couple of years ago on a 55-250mm lens without a UV filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
The UV filter is for ultraviolet light which is outside the visible spectrum but the camera sensor can still pick it up. A polarizer will knock some of the glare down like the sides of the hoods in the second shot. The reflection off the noses your stuck with.

Sinamox

loading...please wait.
Why would you put a cheap piece of glass in front of your lens? In the digi era you can make color correction that alleviates the need for most filters. Even with film a daylight balanced film is designed for daylight. Adding a filter will make those bright reflections or headlights worse as the bright light is reflected off the front of the lens and projected onto the surface of the filter. It's also as I said a cheap piece of glass reducing your resolution and available light. I happen to like a bit of UV haze as it adds depth to the image. The argument is often made that the filter protects the lens. In my opinion the benefit doesn't justify the cost in optical quality. I assume that the 55-250 you mentioned is the Canon. At $200 it's kind of disposable already. I would save your money and buy the best lenses you can before anything else. Polarizers have their place as an effects filter but use with caution as any effect makes the picture look weird and fake.

The best way to reduce that reflection is go have a nice lunch during those "high noon" hours and return when the sun is a little lower. The high light caused the angle incident of reflection off that sharp flat nose. It also is shadowing all sides of the train and washing out the colors on those cool red rocks.

Tom, while you definitely represent the one point of view, I often prefer to have the protection that a filter offers on my lenses.

The Hoya Pro filters are good quality and the Tamron lens is a decent lens worth looking after.

Ohle - a polarizer as Pat suggests, would help you with a lot of effects. But in essence the best advice to reduce the reflection comes from Tom - chose the time of day!

kenw

5th Generation Texian
I used to have UV filters on every lens, I no longer use them. Unless you spend major $$$ on that filter, it can't help anymore than being a bit more careful and obsessive about using the lens cap and hoods will do for you. The only filter I have is circular polarizer. You can buy 1 very good one and then use step donw rings to make it fit smaller lenses, saving you major $$.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com