Kirkman's "Science of Railways" Portfolio

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

jcoor00

delete this account
Good evening all.

I have a good buddy with an old book titled Kirkman's "Science of Railways" Portfolio. We haven't been able to identify it online and I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on it. The usual google searches did not turn up any helpful results. As far as we know it was by a gentlemen named Marshall Monroe Kirkman, 1842-1921. In looking at his published book list, this "portfolio" does not appear anywhere. The whole book or portfolio measures maybe 14" x 20" (just a guesstimate from memory). The pages are a cloth, or cloth reinforced paper composite. I have upload the photos of the book that I have. I will upload more when I can. My buddy is busy moving and found this book while packing. As neat as this book is and the history behind it, he doesn't want it to get lost or forgotten.

Any thoughts on what we have here? My email is jcoor00@yahoo.com

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• IMG_4829.jpg
    IMG_4829.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4831.jpg
    IMG_4831.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 256
I googled Marshall Monroe Kirkman and came up with this Wikipedia article, , which has links to many of his publications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Monroe_Kirkman

From the article: Kirkman wrote extensively on the subject of railways. He wrote a twelve volume treatise, The Science of Railways (1894), which was later revised and republished in 17 volumes, and 3 portfolios (1909, et. seq.)

The Wikipedia article lists the 12 original volumes + 5 supplements for a total of 17. The three portfolios are not listed. :mad:

Last edited:
Here's one of the "portfolios", I think. I t
Locomotive whistles #1 1919.jpg
locomotive whistles #2 1919.jpg
Locomotive whistles #3 1919.jpg
locomotive whistles #4 1919.jpg
locomotive whistles #5 1919.jpg
hink I found it on google books a while back.

Thanks for the reply's ya'll. Attached are two more photos that were sent to me. Not sure if that is the true cover, or maybe the cover was lost and that's the first page. Perhaps this is one of the portfolios that isn't listed.

Attachments

• 593665359.jpg
    593665359.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 593665408.jpg
    593665408.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 269
Thanks for the reply's ya'll. Attached are two more photos that were sent to me. Not sure if that is the true cover, or maybe the cover was lost and that's the first page. Perhaps this is one of the portfolios that isn't listed.

I'm going to guess it's the portfolio cover. Looks heavier and the paper seems to be a different color. You have to love the graphics!!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back