King Street / Amtrak Coach Yard

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
The track 9 numbers are installed. I watched them install the very last ADA tile. The four fence panels are awaiting the correct one way fasteners that will replace the ones that arrived that were wrong. There will be a gate farther down the track 9 platform exactly where I thought where there is a gap in the curb. Century Link Field has to come up with the design for the wheel chair ramp there and bridge over a drain ditch before they can put in the gate. Tomorrow, they have some minor work chalking, some debris cleanup and they should be done with the track 9 platform until the fasteners arrive.

Thanks for the updates BNSFEng, I've meaning to get down there and see how it is coming along; here are some photos from Friday.

This first photo is looking north. I would have thought there would be more signals for northbound movements.
KSS-41A.jpg

Here it the view looking south. It looks like this project is close to being wrapped up.
The photo I want to get, is when there are 7 trains in one shot. I would even settle for 4 trains. We'll see if it happens.
KSS-41B.jpg

Here is a close up looking south.
KSS-41C.jpg

Here are the 2 new (rebuilt) tracks and the new canopy. So the tracks have been officially renamed?
KSS-41D.jpg

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Great shots. Yes the tracks now have the correct number signs all along each platform. Now, concerning the lack of signals, they are absolute signals at every entrance to the King Street Control Point so there really doesn't need to be signals in between with one exception, discussed later. The dispatcher can line us up northbound, say from Yard 1 to King 3, which I use most every day, via Lead 2 to Lead 3 using the south crossover or using the north crossover. He's done it both ways several times. There is one signal at Yard 1 which could get us to any of the tracks from King 3 through King 9. Same with Lead 2's signals going from south to north except there are three extra signals on Lead 1 for movement over the north and south crossovers in either direction with a non-CTC gap between each crossover. The other northbound movement signal is out of Yard 2 which comes out of the maintenance building. These are hard to see for non railroaders from the ground since they are on the Amtrak Yard property, under the Safeco Field Roof, when opened, and under the Royal Brougham Street bridge. You may see several trains in motion once tracks King 8 & 9 are officially operational and more trains are scheduled this fall for both Amtrak and Sounder in the morning or afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
More fun stuff about the Track 9 platform. They welded four track joints at the south end and left the angle bars between the rails. They have been using two pressure washers to clean up the whole platform from any spilled paint, dust or other stains. Century Link Field has started the work on their side on the ADA access ramp. They have laid down a drain pipe spanning the work area, electrical conduit which I imagine will be for localized lighting and a pile of dirt/gravel aggregate for the ramp filler proper. With the ramp being opened soon, I imagine CLF wants to be ready also. Still waiting for the proper fasteners to finish the fencing.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
A new wrinkle in the saga of King 9's platform: Century Link Field is rethinking having a gate into their parking lot from the platform. In the meantime, CLF had a whole bunch of white paint markings on the dirt ADA ramp in preparation of putting a permanent covering of asphalt or concrete to bring it up level with the concrete of King 9's platform. This King 9 platform is scheduled to be activated for train use the end of this coming week. The Coast Starlight, train #14, is scheduled to use it in the mornings. The evening CS, train #11, will use it when it comes in,

TCJim

Handler and Palm Reader
... The Coast Starlight, train #14, is scheduled to use it in the mornings. The evening CS, train #11, will use it when it comes in,
The Coast Starlight, train #11, is scheduled to use it in the mornings. The evening CS, train #14, will use it when it comes in,

Just a minor correction.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
The Coast Starlight, train #11, is scheduled to use it in the mornings. The evening CS, train #14, will use it when it comes in,

Just a minor correction.
It's tough getting old and mixing things up. The fence is now completed and I look forward to seeing the track used soon.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Century Link Field completed the asphalt work on the ADA ramp on their side and it aligns perfectly with the King 9 platform. Now, all they need is an agreement for a gate between them and Amtrak and the gate's installation. So ends the saga of King 9's platform, until the gate is in. Onward to bigger and better threads.

A couple of weeks back I made it down to Seattle to see the finish project.
I have been following this project for along time; I think it was in 1999 is when I first learned of it. When I heard that a third track was going to be put in, I thought right. Where were they going to put it.
The first photo was taken in January 2000. The Seahawks did not make the playoffs so work has started on taking down the Kingdome.
The second photo was taken in March 2017, what a difference 17 years makes.

I still want to see 7 trains at one time move thru King Street Station. This fall Sound Transit is suppose to add more trains, and after the Point Defiance Bypass opens WSDOT will add another round trip, so maybe I still have a chance. If anyone gets a photo I hope they post here. The WSDOT website list this project as complete, like BNSEng said its time to move on to other threads.

KSS-43A.jpg KSS-43B.jpg

-KristopherJ

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Well, we have our first Seattle Seahawks Specials this Sunday and there is still no resolution on the installation of a gate down near the Northeast ticket window on the King 9 platform or even just the use of King 9 for these SOUNDER trains. This really NEEDS to be done so as to relieve the crowding on the platform when the games are over. It's impossible to move when over 2000 fans crowd the platform, stairways and walkways above waiting for trains for both North and South. People can't even go across the Weller Street Pedestrian Overpass since SOUNDER riders are clogging the entire access area so people can't go catch buses or go to parking garages to the east. This had been resolved over a year ago but SOMEONE at Century Link Field looked at it again and wasn't thinking about the fans, only about how to cover their butt if the gate on the King 9 platform was open and someone got hurt DOING SOMETHING STUPID (which they can do anywhere near the tracks) and ending up suing Amtrak, Century Link, Sound Transit, the Seahawks , BNSF and the city of Seattle, etc. (I'm being sued, presently, for someone's stupid action) Unfortunately, in the era of suing anyone for anything and walking away with a fortune, everyone has to think of their liability exposure vice what's right for the vast majority of the people. The ADA ramp has already been made at the location for this gate on the Century Link side and that fence section was specifically designed to be removed to put in a gate. Hopefully, an agreement will be made sometime later this season. One game missed, four Sunday afternoon games to go, or, thinking positive, two playoff games in January to go, also!! GO HAWKS!!

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Hey. It's been awhile. The King Nine Platform now has the long awaited gate which is directly east from the North East Gate at the stadium. The gate has a lock on the Century Link side. A Sound Transit ticket machine, up on the north end, is fully operational. At the gate it's self are, two ORCA Card readers, one on the left and one on the right while looking toward the stadium. They both work as I tried them out yesterday. The gate is recessed toward the stadium about a foot which is perfect for the card readers so no space is used on the platform. The cancelled Coast Starlight is sitting on King Nine track for now. No Starlight north of Oakland until at least June 23rd.

This Seahawks football season will now feature trains to/fromLakewood using both King Nine and King Four. This will greatly reduce the crowding on the platform between King Three and Four when the game is over. You can get over 2000 fans on there with both stairways crammed waiting for a Lakewood or Everett train to open their doors.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com