King Street / Amtrak Coach Yard

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Most of the work at King Street Station is on the new platform along Track 7, and at the south end where the old Royal Brougham street crossing was.
In this photo you can see the new platform coming together.
KSS-26A.jpg

St the south end the 3rd diamond crossover is taking shape. Notice the guy sitting in the chair behind the hi-rail truck. How do ya get that job?
KSS-26B.jpg

Another view. I'm guessing the turnouts for those diamond crossovers are #9s? Does anyone know if all the new turnouts are #9s, or are some #11s?
KSS-26C.jpg

This last shot is a wide angle view. The turnout at the very bottom of the photo is for the track that goes to the wash rack.
KSS-26D.jpg

-KristopherJ

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
They definitely seem to be #9s. We've been going 10mph through them and that seems to be the max speed I'd only go. By the way, they are going to install this crossover during the week so we will have to go around the area using lead 2 to lead 1 then back to lead 2. I believe it may start tomorrow. They have a lot of signals they need to install this next month. Each switch of all three crossovers will have a signal so testing will require two full months and when cut in in December, the dispatcher can line us into or out of all the station tracks into or out of the yard on lead 1, 2 or the wash track. Amtrak says there will be about 300 combinations of alignments they can use when you add the mainlines, too. Kinda mind boggling.

They definitely seem to be #9s. We've been going 10mph through them and that seems to be the max speed I'd only go. By the way, they are going to install this crossover during the week so we will have to go around the area using lead 2 to lead 1 then back to lead 2. I believe it may start tomorrow. They have a lot of signals they need to install this next month. Each switch of all three crossovers will have a signal so testing will require two full months and when cut in in December, the dispatcher can line us into or out of all the station tracks into or out of the yard on lead 1, 2 or the wash track. Amtrak says there will be about 300 combinations of alignments they can use when you add the mainlines, too. Kinda mind boggling.
Thanks for the info BNSFEng, 300 combinations is a lot. That's a lot of dwarf signals that need to be installed for all those crossovers.

I am disappointed that no double-slips were installed. Many years ago someone posted a reply on RR Forums (or maybe somewhere else) that the Talgo equipment had a tendency to detail going thru a double-slip in Spain; that could be the reason. I've also heard that BNSF does not like specialty turnouts: double-slips, equilateral and curved.

A while back you answered my question and posted the possible 7 movements, I made a schematic of those 7 movements to get an idea of how it will look.

MOVEMENTS.jpg

-KristopherJ

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Nice diagram. An Amtrak official had said seven moves at once but I could only come up with six. There may be a way for seven if you really stop and think about it.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
This Friday night, they will begin a week long event of installing the last diamond crossover on Lead 2 and Lead 3 plus realigning of Main 1 at the Stadium/King Street location to match up with Lead 3.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
When I left work on Tuesday all of the tracks were now connected with the new diamond crossover. Main 1 with Lead 3 was moved over. Some ballast still needs to be dumped and the switch machines are still not all installed. They have put in a few more junction boxes for more of the signals, switches and a few more signal pedestals. They hope to open up the new crossover by Friday. I'm off work due to medical for about 10 days so I won't be down to see the finished product until November 1st by the earliest. Still a lot of wiring to do and 300 hours of signal and switch testing taking all of this work into January.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Thanks for the info BNSFEng, 300 combinations is a lot. That's a lot of dwarf signals that need to be installed for all those crossovers.

I am disappointed that no double-slips were installed. Many years ago someone posted a reply on RR Forums (or maybe somewhere else) that the Talgo equipment had a tendency to detail going thru a double-slip in Spain; that could be the reason. I've also heard that BNSF does not like specialty turnouts: double-slips, equilateral and curved.

A while back you answered my question and posted the possible 7 movements, I made a schematic of those 7 movements to get an idea of how it will look.

View attachment 132459

-KristopherJ
I forgot to make a mention that at Stadium, Main 2 becomes Main 3, Main 1 becomes Main 2 and Main 1 begins at the end of the Lead 3/2 crossover.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Well back to work, tomorrow after taking some time off for my surgery. I'll take a gander at what's happening down at King Street...

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
All the tracks are in place but still have red flags on a section of the Amtrak Lead 3 between the crossover to Main 1 at King Street and the switch in the diamond crossover from Lead 3 to Main 1 at the King Street/Stadium boundary. lots of signals still to be installed and switch machines on about 6-8 switches. in the yard and at King Street. I haven't taken my camera to work in years. I'll see what I can do once all the signals and switch machines are installed. I could always come to work early on a nice sunny day and take some pictures.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
So walking along King street 6 yesterday, I noticed that the new platform alongside King Street 7 is very long. Long enough for the Coast Starlight to totally be under the canopy or any other long passenger train. Talking to some Amtrak personnel, who are in the know, said that's exactly where the Coast Starlight will be staged for leaving and will come into the station at. This opens up track 3 for any other train such as #7 which would have to wait if the Starlight was late sometimes in the mornings. They have installed about 9 steel beams so far for canopy support with King street 6 having most of the rest of the beams laying on it.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Another update on King Street 7. All of the concrete has been poured except at an electrical vault at the entrance on the north end. Only about a dozen vertical steel beams are left to be installed for the canopy about 30 have been installed already. Quite a few horizontal supports are still to be installed. Exit dwarf signals have been installed on KS 6 & 7. More signals in the yard. Northbound from Wash Rack Lead, Lead 2, Lead 1 and Track 2. A few switch machines have been installed in that area, also.

Another update on King Street 7. All of the concrete has been poured except at an electrical vault at the entrance on the north end. Only about a dozen vertical steel beams are left to be installed for the canopy about 30 have been installed already. Quite a few horizontal supports are still to be installed. Exit dwarf signals have been installed on KS 6 & 7. More signals in the yard. Northbound from Wash Rack Lead, Lead 2, Lead 1 and Track 2. A few switch machines have been installed in that area, also.
Went down to the Seattle Auto Show today and took one quick photo with the pocket camera. The new canopy is looking really nice.

-KristopherJ

Attachments

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
I counted 15 vertical beam locations that need to have beams installed and there are not any on the property at this time. The multitude of horizontal beams are in the process of being installed. Possible direct access to Century Link field from that platform which would make it great for our Sounder game trains. You could put two seven car trains on there!

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
At least two more switch machines are needed to be installed in the yard on Lead two and north end of track 2. Not sure if anymore signals are needed but I suspect two more are to be put in.

Here are 4 photos from Friday. Looks like all the track work is done, except to re-build Track 6 & 7.
In this first photo you can see a guy working on 2 dwarf signals.
KSS-29A.JPG

Zoomed-in view of the track work. Both diamond crossovers are in. You can see a couple of signals covered in gray tarps.
KSS-29B.JPG

From South Royal Brougham looking north. The crane in the background is working on the new canopy for Track 7.
KSS-29C.JPG

Here is a wide-angle view.
KSS-29D.JPG

-KristopherJ

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com