Is it worth using film anymore?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
I haven't read the entire thread, but........

There is one very good reason to use film, you are poor. For $200 you can go purchase an old excellent SLR (film) for $50 and also add excellent lenses for next to nothing.

A young chap who is "poor" who lives down the street has gotten into photography this way. It may not be the "best" way into photography now, but it still works.

Don't forget after you have a number of rolls of film developed, you can have them put on a CD and you can still digitally manipulate the image. There are three major draw backs, but even with these you can still be a photographer.

The first drawback is no immediate feedback, chimping helps to improve the shot, determining whether exposure compensation should be used, for fill flash dialed down using Flash compensation, or going for special effects. Harder to do with film but not impossible as these were all done in the past without the ability for image feedback immediately.

The second drawback is a "commitment" to a film speed (ISO) that can't really be changed on the fly. If I shoot ten shots, odds are good at some point I changed ISO, this can't be done with film unless you change film type.

And the third drawback is the wait for the film to be taken in, developed, then picked up.

The one massive positive for film negatives and slides is archival ability, far superior with film and slides.

Just my opinion, but I prefer digital. With film you are stuck with it's ISO, but with digital you can change it at your desire.

With film you are stuck with the bad shots you get back from the processor. With digital you simply delete the bad ones.

Switched to digital in 04 and never looked back. I still have my dad's Nikon F but never use it.

I own three DSLR's and still own one of my film SLR's - the Canon 10s. I'm not trying to say film is better than digital, I'm saying its a cheap way into learn photography if you don't have the bucks for DSLR equipment.

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
For $500-550 you can buy a new Rebel T3 or D3100 kit. Up front it's more than a used film SLR but you won't shoot much film for the $250 difference.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
I discourage learning on film for the simple reason that the learning curve is so much faster with digital. You learn from your mistakes faster, can adjust on the spot and try again. As long as you don't try to fix the shot later in post (photoshop, etc), and strive for 'in-camera' perfection you will learn faster in digital than with film. With film you really don't know what you screwed up until you get your slides/prints/whatever back. And unless you take copious notes with each frame exposed, you'll never really know what worked and more importantly what didn't and WHY....

And you don't need to get a dSLR to really start learning, any digital that has Manual, Tv and Av modes will serve as a great learning tool to get the basics down quickly. You can move to a good used dLR later as your abilities expand and you learn the limitations of the hardware.

And eventually you will learn the limitations of digital and THEN film will hold some new amazement for you....then you go get that film body.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.