Interesting Metrolink Cab Car

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Ehh.... its ok... defiantly on the ugly side... The Bombardier bi-levels look better.

Its like they took the front of a p42 and stuck it onto a gallery car! lol

+

=

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe trying to make more aerodmatic(sp) to lower fuel useage?

or so objects bounce off better?

I've ridden in a CABCAR cab and the view is iffy at best with a lot of blind spots and moving around in the "cab" , from one side to the other, is a pain with that vestabule taking up some of the floor space.

Giveing the engineer a bigger window so thay can look down closer to the front makes seeing people walking in front of the unit at stations stops is a plus

MP36er

Spelling DOES count.
After the 2006 Metrolink crash, they've been looking for some way to increase safety when running cabcar-first. These new cabcars will certainly be safer with their more-crash-absorbent front, but less versatile since they can't be placed mid-train and used as regular coaches.

My $0.02, I think they look a lot better than the Bombardier cab cars.

These will be leading all Metrolink 'push' mode trains and the Bombardiers will become trailer cars.

I always thought it was a shame with US push-pull trains about the design. Take the PSL sets for example. A beautifully streamlined F59PHI pulling it, but a brick on the other end when it's in the push mode!

Europe has quite a lot of cab cars which are streamlined, about time a US commuter railroad followed suit!

RailroadJeep

The Herder Himself
I don't care for the huge blindspot it's going to create, nor it's... uh... interesting look. But the big selling point for me is sitting up higher. That's one thing that still give's me the willy's is hitting a car or something in the Bombardier cab cars. At least with this there's both more "crumple zone" between you and the world, and your not sitting like 3' above the rail.

RailroadJeep

The Herder Himself
How is there any bigger blind spot than on a locomotive? Maybe it's a bit higher, but to me it seems like it's about the same height as a F59PH.
I guess I should have said compared to a Bombardier cab car, which I think has much better visabilty than any locomotive cab. At the same time, I have not, nor will I likely ever be in that cab, so I'll just take that back my opinion since I have no basis for it aside from what I can see in the Bombardier cab cars and F59PHi's. But yes, from where I guestimate the engineer sits in that thing, it looks like it will be just as bad of a blind spot as a F59.

roee

I agree, compared to a cab car, there is quite the blind spot, but maybe that's a good thing. Then the hogger doesn't need to actually see the impact of the suicide. MetroLink gets there fair share.

I guess I should have said compared to a Bombardier cab car, which I think has much better visabilty than any locomotive cab. At the same time, I have not, nor will I likely ever be in that cab, so I'll just take that back my opinion since I have no basis for it aside from what I can see in the Bombardier cab cars and F59PHi's. But yes, from where I guestimate the engineer sits in that thing, it looks like it will be just as bad of a blind spot as a F59.

RailroadJeep

The Herder Himself
Yup, that's one thing I really do like about that new cab car. With the many near misses I've had in a cabcar, I really don't want to see one happen that "up close".

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.