Inside of 4449's firebox

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
A rarely seen view of SP 4449

Southern Pacific GS-4 4449, known as "The Daylight", may well be the most photographed locomotive in the world. Even so, this one is different than most. This shot shows the inside of the firebox. 4449 is currently undergoing extensive boiler work, as mandated by the FRA regulations. Part of that work can be seen here. While visiting the ORHC, I found they they had disassembled a bit of the firebox, and the resulting opening allowed you to poke your head in and get photos. Showing what a great place the museum is, they even placed a sign telling folks about it, along with a small stepladder for a better look inside. Certainly a unique view of an area that is typically only seen by the crew.

DSC_2062-1.jpg

A definite advantage to a diesel locomotive is you don't have to install each one of those staybolts(those are the bumps that look like rivets, because they are like rivets). That firebox would make a great railfan man cave.

I recall that during past FRA mandated boiler rebuilds, improvements (such as insulation) were made utilizing new technology and materials not available in the late 40's when the Daylight was constructed. Will similar improvements will be made this time around?

Stories have been written about how many people could fit inside the boilers of the largest steam locomotives. Photos of the inside of 4014's boiler are sure to surface once work begins on its restoration.

I recall that during past FRA mandated boiler rebuilds, improvements (such as insulation) were made utilizing new technology and materials not available in the late 40's when the Daylight was constructed. Will similar improvements will be made this time around?

Stories have been written about how many people could fit inside the boilers of the largest steam locomotives. Photos of the inside of 4014's boiler are sure to surface once work begins on its restoration.

Bill, while I'm friends with some of the 4449 crew, I'm not at all involved in the work, and so I can't comment on what changes, if any, they plan. I know that many of the insulation changes were driven by the fact that in the 1940's "state of the art" insulation was made with asbestos. That material is long gone on operational steam these days.

I recall a Lempor exhaust system was added to the 4449; what were the results of this modification?

And I retract that statement. It was the UP3985 which had a dual Lempor installed. My aging memory, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back