Infrastructure around old coal mine railways?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

geomath

Hi folks, I just registered for these great forums, great to be here! I love the sheer amount of knowledge and passion in here.

I'm posting because I have a BURNING interest in researching old spaces and mapping them out in google earth, partly for the purpose of finding old glass and other relics that connect me to that other time (but in the same place!).

I recently got a hold of some old maps and have painstakingly transcribed at least 100km/60mi of old railway ROWs onto my digital map. A lot of these are in areas that have been fairly abandoned for 80-120 years, and thus might have some great relic hunting opportunities!

But I need help figuring out what to expect from these old lines. Would they have glass insulators, trash piles, pieces of signals or lights? I've tried to research this but haven't found the right question to ask a search engine.

Details:
These railways carried coal trains between the mines and the wharves, and most also connected to the larger regional rail line.
Many (all?) of them were narrow gauge tracks I think.
Some of them were used well into the mid-1900s for forestry (very little mining anymore by that point).
None of the tracks are there anymore, though the grades are still prominent and usually not very overgrown; rusted pieces of rail are fairly common, sitting on the slopes to either side.
For many of the miners, the trains were the only way to/from the job.

Thanks in advance for your time if you choose to respond.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back