If You Could Build a Full-Size Steam Replica...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
The British Railways A1 "Tornado" and the 4-4-0 "Levathian" have most likely set a precedent...

It is possible to build an operable, full-size replica of an extinct locomotive. The question is...If you could build a full-size replica of a long-gone locomotive, which locomotive would you build?

For me, I'd build either a NP A5 Northern or Z8 Challenger. Why?

1. NP was one of the pre-merger railroads that ran through my hometown
2. The appearance of the A5 and Z8, with their fully-enclosed cabs and 14-wheel tenders make them look rugged.

Again, these are all "what if" scenarios.

The British Railways A1 "Tornado" and the 4-4-0 "Levathian" have most likely set a precedent...

It is possible to build an operable, full-size replica of an extinct locomotive. The question is...If you could build a full-size replica of a long-gone locomotive, which locomotive would you build?

2. The appearance of the A5 and Z8, with their fully-enclosed cabs and 14-wheel tenders make them look rugged.

Boston and Maine 4-8-2. Centipede tenders, and one heck of a beautiful locomotive. Of course, now living in Maine, I have to shift my loyalties. But growing up in the NW, I'd vote for 2626 on the NP. The Z-8 was pretty awesome, too.

Macster

Only known as Mac

An oil burning version of the Reading and Northern 425 to run on the West Coast =D

Yep, one of the biggest, dumbest moves ever, was scrapping the Timken, Four Aces, 1111, NP 2626. We were eating at Busch's drive in on South Tacoma Way, and could see her at the So. Tacoma shops as the smokebox fell to the ground.

I'd love to see her resurected!

Steve

wes

1- NYC Niagara
2- NYC Hudson (streamlined is my preference, but beggars can't be choosers!)
3- Victorian Railways (Australia) streamlined S class Pacific
4- B&O EM1 Mallet

And one from left field- a Jersey Central double ended Baldwin baby faced diesel model
DRX4-4-2000

P.S.
There are already 8 Big Boys preserved, why would you want to make another if you had an opportunity to resurrect an extinct locomotive?

Regards

Wes

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
> B&O EM1 Mallet

Better allocate a Billion or so more to build a railroad you could take that puppy out and play on. None of the modern railroads could accomodate it, they have enough trouble just trying to run 3985.

East Of Easton

Wester Than Lester
No generalities.

Two specifics: CB&Q 5632
CB&Q 4960 (that once was)

The seeds from which my brainwashed indoctrination into all railroading interests were formed. But I'd rather time travel than build replicas.

Four Aces would be nice, though.

April

Reality escapee
A fleet of matching, retro-look (1950's-era) lightweight passenger cars (Coaches/Domes/Sleepers) would be nice. :)

New steamers won't do you any good if you don't have cars to haul people behind them. You need a way to cover the operating costs of running those things.

Plus, you can only rebuild the old cars so many times.

April

I would build an S2 steam turbine. Encluded in it's consruction would be all of the new turbine, boiler, metals and exaust technology,still making it look like the origional engine. I think that would be a viable machine. Reason is it was one of a kind and for a steam engine looked very good and had over 5000hp.
C:\Users\George\Pictures\steam 6200 turbine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.