I am seeking to join the rail profession and have questions

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Hi there!:D

I am very interested in joining the rail industry and have some questions. It would be great if you could help answer! :D

1. Is it practical for a for fit 130 pound 5 foot 6 woman to do this job?

2. If I take the railway conductor course offered by SAIT in Calgary, AB this upcoming fall, would it be reasonable to expect to gain employment as a full time employment as a rail conductor or related profession soon after the completion of this course?

3. Would the college help me gain employment?

4. As a member of a visible minority (chinese) would I be at risk of discrimination in the rail-road industry? I mean this respectfully :p

5. What is the future outlook of the industry?

6. What other employers (if any) are there in Calgary, AB besides CN?

7. What is a career path like? Is there future opportunity for advancement, management ect?

8. Are there benefits?

9. What is the corporate culture like? This may vary according to company... :)

10. If I don't have a drivers license will I not be hired?

11. If my previous job experiences are only in the entertainment industry will I not be considered? Perhaps previous physical jobs are required for employment?

12. How stable is the jobs?

13. What do I need to do to get hired? What is the hiring process like?

About me:

18 F in Calgary, AB

Completion of highschool diploma

1 year of business school at U of C so far

Hardworker, respectful, I will do whatever it takes to get the job done right

I really want this but am not sure if it is possible or practical :p

Thanks so much! ;)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back