How would you like this to be your driveway?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

872213556_5a96aa4caa.jpg

The CSX Mainline runs through this home owner's driveway. Make sure to watch out for trains on your way to the mailbox! The photo was taken in 2001.

The funny thing is that something similar of a dream almost came true for me. A few years back there was a house for sale along the Rochester & Southern line down some 10-15 miles out of the yard. This is an area of track that has improved significantly over the past couple decades for higher speeds. The R&S is also much more exciting line because some of the locomotives are older ALCo's. You don't get to see them anymore on the CSX Main. Anyways, I had $100k ceiling for a purchase. The seller was asking $189k. I said, "Ouch!" It was only a 1,248 sq. ft. house on 3/4 acre lot in the middle of nowhere far away from the shopping districts and a little further away from my job then I wanted to be. I was willing to borrow against my 401k for a total of 125k, but the realtor said, "You're not even in the same ballpark with this seller." I moved on to look for another home, and that seller's house sat on the market for another 412 days before it finally sold for [get this] $130k. How cool that would've been to have the R&S railroad 150 feet away in my back yard!

Bill Anderson

The funny thing is that something similar of a dream almost came true for me. A few years back there was a house for sale along the Rochester & Southern line down some 10-15 miles out of the yard. This is an area of track that has improved significantly over the past couple decades for higher speeds. The R&S is also much more exciting line because some of the locomotives are older ALCo's. You don't get to see them anymore on the CSX Main. Anyways, I had $100k ceiling for a purchase. The seller was asking $189k. I said, "Ouch!" It was only a 1,248 sq. ft. house on 3/4 acre lot in the middle of nowhere far away from the shopping districts and a little further away from my job then I wanted to be. I was willing to borrow against my 401k for a total of 125k, but the realtor said, "You're not even in the same ballpark with this seller." I moved on to look for another home, and that seller's house sat on the market for another 412 days before it finally sold for [get this] $130k. How cool that would've been to have the R&S railroad 150 feet away in my back yard!
Funny story. You may not have been in the same ballpark as the seller, but the seller was clearly not in the same ballpark as the market.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com