Honoring the men who served in the Canadian Railway Troops in WWI

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Thomas Poolton

Greetings all:

This is my first post here and I am looking for some research assistance.

I collect military medals and have recently become the custodian of a World War I pair of medals (British War Medal & Allied Victory Medal) that were issued to 2125057 Sapper John Moles Jackson. He enlisted with the No.1 Skilled Railway Employees and served with the 58th Broad Gauge Operating Company as a member of the Canadian Railway Troops.

His attestation papers show that he was a locomotive engineer and was living in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (February 1917). Post war (1923) the Ottawa City directory shows him still employed as an locomotive engineer.

My desire is to learn more about his "professional" career and am wondering if there is way I can determine what Railway he would have worked for?

Would there be any type of rolls or indexes available to research? Additionally I would love to find a photograph of him if possible.

Any assistance or pointers that can be provided would be most gratefully appreciated.

Sincerely,

Thomas

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back