Gulfport, MS - 02/14/11

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
On my last day in Mississippi, I made my way over to Gulfport while my friend was at work. I was hoping to catch the Kansas City Southern in action since it's not a railroad I've had the pleasure of watching before. Much to my delight there was a local running between the yard in Gulfport and the Port of Mississippi a few miles to the south.

GP38-2 #2011 leads the local over the CSX diamond and past the derail signal on its way to the port.

Gulfport Local by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

A conductor hangs on as the train makes its way through downtown Gulfport.

You Keep Me Hanging On by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

Before the KCS local can head back north it has to wait for a CSX mixed freight to clear the diamond. This shot was at a bad angle sun wise, but since I was waiting for the KCS train to cross after this, I wasn't going to attempt to get on the other side of the tracks.

Bad Side Of The Sun by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

After the CSX train cleared the diamond, a crew member releases the derail and the train pulls forward across the diamond with GP38-2 #2034 in the lead. Note the two letter Fs by the step. I guess they wanted to be sure you knew which end was the front.

KC Over The Diamond by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Sounds like you had a good time. I've always been down there at off times when nothing from KCS was running, and only see the occasional CSX through freight.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
I always have a blast when I'm down there. It seems to be that both railroads are generally busier during the morning hours. My buddy's apartment in Biloxi is only a couple blocks from the CSX main and it's always one train right after the other. They seem to slow down though in the afternoon.

I always have a blast when I'm down there. It seems to be that both railroads are generally busier during the morning hours. My buddy's apartment in Biloxi is only a couple blocks from the CSX main and it's always one train right after the other. They seem to slow down though in the afternoon.
That was pretty much the case while I was there. KCS seemed to do most of its work between 6 AM and 11 PM; there might have been some runs out to the port or to the DuPont complex north of Pass Christian later in the day, but I never managed to catch those (if they did happen) or the Gulfport-Hattiesburg manifest run in the afternoon. Then again, I never managed to catch the morning runs to the port either; I was fairly busy getting ready (along with the rest of the regiment) to head over to Basscrackistan, and I didn't get to go off base as much as I'd have liked to (and being within earshot of both the KCS branch and the CSX main - which thankfully did not have any intermodal traffic to speak of other than TOFC - didn't help at all!!).

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
That was pretty much the case while I was there. KCS seemed to do most of its work between 6 AM and 11 PM; there might have been some runs out to the port or to the DuPont complex north of Pass Christian later in the day, but I never managed to catch those (if they did happen) or the Gulfport-Hattiesburg manifest run in the afternoon. Then again, I never managed to catch the morning runs to the port either; I was fairly busy getting ready (along with the rest of the regiment) to head over to Basscrackistan, and I didn't get to go off base as much as I'd have liked to (and being within earshot of both the KCS branch and the CSX main - which thankfully did not have any intermodal traffic to speak of other than TOFC - didn't help at all!!).
Yeah, it was simply by chance that I happened to catch the port run. After not seeing or hearing anything running, I was about to head back to my buddy's appartment when I noticed the headlights in the distance.

Hank

Retired & Laid Back
Gulfport-Hattiesburg-Jackson Trains

The Gulfport Branch usually runs its "long distance" mixed trains between Gulfport and Jackson once a day, six days a week. Trains run on KCS tracks to Hattiesburg where they cross the NS diamond, then have trackage rights on CN/IC to Jackson where they divert east onto the KCS Meridian Speedway to the KCS yard a mile or so east of the CN/IC interchange.

Trains run north on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and south on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The northbound trains are fairly predictable, usually leaving the Gulfport yard in the morning between 9 and 10, sometimes as late as 11. The southbound trains can arrive any time from late afternoon until after midnight, depending on when the train is ready to leave Jackson yard, traffic on the CN/IC, and NS traffic at the diamond in Hattiesburg.

The area north of Gulfport yard is easily accessible for photos. Go north from Gulfport about 5 miles on Hwy US49 to the stop light just before the RR crossing lights above Hwy 49, just south of I-10. Turn left at that stop light and go west a few hundred yards until just before the KCS crossing, then turn left and go south along the tracks as far as you wish. You have a mile or more of clear access for photos. As you go south you will pass the wye interchange that goes west to the DuPont plant north of Pass Christian mentioned NM_RailNut.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.