General Questions about tourist railways

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

J

Jbari10

Hey all,
I have a few questions on tourist railways, and yes I am new to the whole forum thing and also new to how tourist railways work.
My first question is about trackage rights. My basic understand is that the major freight railways generally don't want to give up track rights. How true is this and/or how difficult is it to obtain rights, even if it's simply crossing over a main line?
Secondly, it seems that funding is usually pretty limited to the tourist railways, which for steam heads like me, bums me out. There's plenty of us that want to get in, volunteer as much time as we can before our wives tell us no more, and help preserve the antiquated equipment. The answer is always the same: we don't have the money to that. I'm all for crowd funding, or raising funds or whatever it takes to raise funds, but there's part of me that thinks, man there's got to be a better way. I guess the question for this is, IS there a better way to raise money?

Thanks in advance folks!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back