From the Water

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
From the Dock...

John,

Sorry to hear that you didn't win the lottery :)

Here's a couple shots of you working the COSCO Felixtowe this afternoon.

It's always neat to see another RRF member at work, and it was nice to meet you.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Much to my dismay, I’m back and thank you Peter for posting these great photos and reminding me that I hadn’t won the lottery. :eek:

I meant to take a picture of Peter and post it here, but (and I quote from an unknown source) “I have a mind like a steel trap, rusty and illegal in 37 states” I forgot to pick up the camera and do it.

Hope to post some pictures soon.

I'm not doing well at getting trains from the water, but the weather and timing have not been great, so I got what I could. They aren't trains, but they do run on rails. These container cranes on Pier 18 in Seattle are silent at 0500 on 12/20/2010 while in the back ground the Space Needle is decorated with Christmas lights for the holidays. In another hour the Andrew Foss and Pacific Star will assist the CMA CGM Mauyassant out of P-18 and into Elliot Bay where it be on its way to its next port of call.

A rather dismal 1/23/2011 in Tacoma, WA as the Andrew Foss, Henry Foss and Wedell Foss assist the Ever Elite (former Hatsu Elite) into Pierce County Terminal in the Blair Water Way. Between the three boats there is over 14,000 horse power available if needed.

Nice pictures. I especially like the crane one!

Question: I know how the IBC locking devices hold the containers on trailers and doublestack cars work - s person locks/unlocks each one either from the ground or standing on the railcar. But how the heck do the IBC locks on the upper containers (photo #2, water side edge of container) get unlocked? There is no place for a person to stand!

Nice pictures. I especially like the crane one!

Question: I know how the IBC locking devices hold the containers on trailers and doublestack cars work - s person locks/unlocks each one either from the ground or standing on the railcar. But how the heck do the IBC locks on the upper containers (photo #2, water side edge of container) get unlocked? There is no place for a person to stand!
The longshoreman stand on the catwalks at the stern and in between each row of containers and with long aluminum poles, up to twenty feet long, reach up and unlock the cones. I have watched them and it is tough work, but any work overhead is not fun. On the end of the poles is strange looking hook that hangs on the locking lever and they twist the pole to unlock it. A crew comes in an hour before they start to transfer cargo to unlock all the cans that will be moved. Sometimes not all the rows will be worked during a port call.

The larger container vessels (5000 TEU+) are pretty stable during operations. However the smaller container ships are a bit tender so if you're moving hatch covers on and off, or loading/unloading on one side and the tanks can't keep up, they will start heeling. We're talking a degree or two.

I was on vacation during February and March while the Andrew was in the yard, but, all good things must come to an end, next week it's back to the salt mine. :( Maybe I'll be able to get some "Thread Appropriate" photos in the next few weeks.

We in the PNW know what a "crappy" (I'm being kind) cold, wet, dark Feb., March and first week of April we have had. Today was one of two days that I was able to make time when the sun was out to get to Chambers Park to take some pictures. The train gods blessed me with "one" grain train in two hours. :rolleyes:

Bill A., if you read this, there was a pair of yearling bald eagles in the area and a pair of osprey seem to have staked out a spot on the old gravel dock.

Two units on the head end and a DPU on the end.

There seems to have been a lot of trains tied-up in and around Inter-Bay the past few days.
A coal train tried to sneak past behind a parked stack train at Myrtle Edwards Park.

The DPU’s of said coal train passing Pier 70.

Then I had to go to work.

Bill, the Osprey are back at Pier 90, I imagine we'll be seeing a new set of chicks in the coming months.

A little off track but what the heck.

I used to work for an industrial and marine diesel repair company. We did some work on a river tug here in Mobile that had a a pair of EMD engines. I want to say they were 16 cylinders with Twin Disc gears. It was thirteen years ago so I can't remember the details. But I know it was EMD power. It was the only EMD powered boat we went on. All the others were either powered by Detroit Diesel 16V149's or Cat 3516's.

The only reason I mentioned it is because it was the second to last job I worked on with them. About a month later most of us helpers were laid off. About two months later I got a job in the water works and never looked back. It was 13 years ago today, actually.

HAPPY EASTER !!!!:)

Today looked like a good day to take the morning off and go to Chambers Bay Park. I got there just as a parade of trains started and I missed a UP, but I had to take care of something first. It seems the Osprey I saw last month have taken up residence on the south end of the old Pioneer Pit dock and I can only assume than in a matter of weeks they will be proud parents.

I use geographic directions so North is East and South is West.
The first train I was able to capture was a S. bound Amtrak.

Next was a S. bound garbage train on main 2 that crossed over to main 1 at Pioneer.

A N. bound coal train slows for a red light at Pioneer as the garbage train crosses from main 2 to main 1. The searchlight signal in the distance protects the approach to the Chambers Creek RR bridge.

The N. bound coal train and DPU's

And last but not least, a S. bound UP.

I’m back at work, a few days later than the rest of the crew due to an equipment failure, but that’s another story I won’t tell here.

I get on board, make my bunk, eat lunch and they tell me, Oh ya, you get to be in a parade. :eek: Not being the social butterfly type, I try to avoid public events, but if I must. So down to the Seattle water front I go and do the tugboat parade. A little disappointing compared to other years, there didn’t seem to be as many boats as in the past, but then I have only been involved three years and it was 2:00PM by the time I arrived.

At the end of the parade I caught a train coming through Myrtle Edwards Park.

Then it was off to work, a ship out of pier 18 with brand X.

We took a barge to Everett today, 5/17 and on the way up saw no trains. My guess, because of these guys at MP17, and these guys in Browns Bay. I wonder what the sheet piling are for?

On the way back to Seattle, the flood gates opened and rush hour began. Three Sounders, the Empire Builder and a grain train.
The 1st Sounder just east of Mukilteo by the Boeing Dock.

Next an E. bound grain, I assume MTY and rolling to a stop.

The 2nd Sounder passing said grain train.

An east bound Empire Builder passing Picnic Point.

There was a 3rd Sounder, but I didn’t get a picture, too far away.

Bill Anderson

I shot those same afternoon trains from Sunset Ave. It is really interesting to see them from the perspective of being out in the Sound.

Could the material you saw at Brown's Bay be the beginnings of a retaining wall to guard against slides?

The Main Street crossing in Edmonds (the one by the ferry dock) was being repaired, which shut down the main line all day Tuesday until the afternoon passenger parade started.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.