From the Water

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
The first picture was taken about 1800, two of the Boeing barges and yes, it is as cold as it looks, at least to these 62 year old bones. Both pictures were taken through the wheelhouse window. No way was I going outside. To give you an idea of the location, the two single steel piling in the second picture mark the end of the old MILW rail slip at P-27. Also of note in the second picture, near the top by the reflection in the window, icicles hanging from the visor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s Thanksgiving Day 2010 and I’m on a tugboat in Puget Sound, and while I would rather be home with the family sipping on a brandy or single malt scotch I can’t complain and I’m not whining, too much. Between the chief engineer and the sailor they are cooking up a really nice turkey diner, the weather is calm (unusual for Thanksgiving) and our work schedule gives us a leisurely day.

About 0800 we assisted the COSCO Antwerp out of P-37, after lunch we take a Boeing barge to Everett (Bill if you read this in time, should be at MP18 between 1330 and 1430). We’ll eat diner in Everett and then leave in the evening to be in Tacoma for 0400 ship work.
To justify this post, I would guess that about 85% of the containers on this ship traveled by rail.

A bit of trivia that might be out of date: Rule of thumb for container ships, everything below the main deck and the first 2 rows above pay for operating cost, everything above that is profit.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Awesome photos! I used to live in Ballard and work downtown for a freight forwarder and having been on a few vessel tours these photos bring back memories...love Seattle and all the maritime/rail activity that gives Seattle its unique personality.

Happy Turkey Day!

LOL Darn Bill, I'm just gald I wasn't picking my nose. That's close.
You guys crack me up.
That's a sweet looking tug. Tractor tug? For a short while in my 20's I worked as a deck hand on harbor tugs. My first tug captain and mentor was a guy from Oregon named Jack who for years was a business agent at the IBU. He helped negotiate labor agreements with the various tug companies and so on. Quite a character. He taught me a lot.
Keep the photos coming. They're great.

John - GREAT MARINE PICTURES. So, share some details with us about the Andrew Foss. EMD power plants? How many? What model? Direct drive or diesel electric? There are many common elements between locomotives and tugs. I used to enjoy watching tugs go through the locks on the upper Mississippi river many years ago. Lock & Dam #11 in Dubuque IA.

Two EMD 16-645E6 M.E. rated at 1950HP each @ 900rpm, we just call it 4000hp. Most of the time we run about 600 to 750rpm’s depending on tide, schedule, if and what we are towing, etc. We like to run at the lower rpm’s to keep the noise down and the company wants us to save fuel. These run two Voith drives located forward of the wheel house. I’ve added some links to help explain

http://www.voithturbo.de/vt_en_pua_marine_vspropeller.htm

http://www.foss.com

I’ll see if I can’t dig up some good pictures and/or diagrams.

Bill, I need to get a longer lens to do them justice. I wonder if Santa knows of my needs?

I need lessons on how to post “thumbnails”. I tried for an hour this morning so my pics didn’t hog the screen. I use Photobucket and posted the thumbnails, but they don’t work the way everyone elses do so had to do my usual.:(

Bill Anderson

Two EMD 16-645E6 M.E. rated at 1950HP each @ 900rpm, we just call it 4000hp.
I was told the ferries use EMD 645's + the same turbochargers as EMD railroad diesels. Back when BN ran lots of SD40-2 units, it was sometimes difficult to tell by sound alone whether a train or a ferry was approaching Edmonds.

Two EMD 16-645E6 M.E. rated at 1950HP each @ 900rpm, we just call it 4000hp. Most of the time we run about 600 to 750rpm’s depending on tide, schedule, if and what we are towing, etc. We like to run at the lower rpm’s to keep the noise down and the company wants us to save fuel. These run two Voith drives located forward of the wheel house. I’ve added some links to help explain

http://www.voithturbo.de/vt_en_pua_marine_vspropeller.htm

http://www.foss.com

I’ll see if I can’t dig up some good pictures and/or diagrams.

Bill, I need to get a longer lens to do them justice. I wonder if Santa knows of my needs?

I need lessons on how to post “thumbnails”. I tried for an hour this morning so my pics didn’t hog the screen. I use Photobucket and posted the thumbnails, but they don’t work the way everyone elses do so had to do my usual.:(
Some other information I didn't have time to get last night.

Length 106'
Beam 38'
Draft 17'
Fuel 50,500 gals.
Lube & Hydrolic fluid 4,500 gals.
Fresh Water 5,400 gals.
Gross Tons 250

Rather than go to Tacoma we are now going to spend the next few days in north sound, i.e. Anacotes, Ferndale area. We anchored near March Pt. at 0200, sustained SE wind 40kts. gusting to 50kts.
As long as we are in Seattle noon Monday, go home day :D

I worked with a guy who now is on the other half of this crew who's dad worked for the NPRR as the bridge tender of the RR Bridge at La Conner where the trains crossed to get to Anacortes. It is a swing bridge and could only be operated from the bridge it's self, not from shore. His dad only had one arm and would row out in a skiff to the bridge and close it when a train was due. Old Harry has a lot of stories.

Bill Anderson

Rather than go to Tacoma we are now going to spend the next few days in north sound, i.e. Anacotes, Ferndale area. We anchored near March Pt. at 0200, sustained SE wind 40kts. gusting to 50kts.
As long as we are in Seattle noon Monday, go home day :D
I drove down to Sunset Ave. today in the hopes of catching a sunset. As I was approaching Sunset Ave. from Edmonds St., I saw a familiar boat heading southbound past the ferry dock. I had just enough time to park the pickup and run out to take some shots.

John,

Great shot of the COSCO Antwerp from the water. This past week was brutal because of the ice and snowy conditions. Hope you guys got to avoid some of it. Shoot me a PM when you are about to get back on the boat and in Seattle. If I can I'll try to get a shot of you from Pier 37/46.

Peter

I run, but I can’t hide. Nice pictures Bill, better conditions than on Thanksgiving.

I got the Boeing dock just east of Mukilteo with 5 loaded stack cars, I’m guessing a set.

John,

Great shot of the COSCO Antwerp from the water. This past week was brutal because of the ice and snowy conditions. Hope you guys got to avoid some of it. Shoot me a PM when you are about to get back on the boat and in Seattle. If I can I'll try to get a shot of you from Pier 37/46.

Peter
I'll be back 12/14, assuming I don't win the lottery.

Two EMD 16-645E6 M.E. rated at 1950HP each ... These run two Voith drives(
John - Thanks for the explanation and the links. That Voith Schneider drive sounds like the perfect setup for a tug, and it is simple to boot. I bet the Voith Schneider drive is what the Mississippi river tugs that I used to watch in Dubuque IA use; at least the newer ones.

I personally think that we need to emphasize "simple" much more when it comes to technology..

Those 16-645E6 powerplants sound almost pure GP38 to me and I am guessing that they have roots blowers and not turbos. The life of a roots blower is generally much longer than that of a turbo. The shortline I work for is going to retire a perfectly good SD45 because the turbo clutch is failing and the repair cost is too high.

I need lessons on how to post “thumbnails”.(
Personally, I prefer the big pictures you post. That night Seattle skyline shot in post #1 is just spectacular!

I have tried to post big pictures like this, but with mixed and mostly unsuccessful results - see this thread:

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33962

I have just gone back to the RailroadForums thumnail default as it seems to consistently be reliable:

1) I re-size my pictures to 640x480 and save the resized pictures in a temp folder so that I don't overwrite my original picture. I use Irfanview to do this, although there are many programs which can resize pictures. Here is a link to Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/
I have used it for years and been highly pleased.

I may try different sizes, like 800x600 or even 1024x768 just to see what, if any, is the effect. The smaller the size the quicker they upload and the more pictures you can store in your alloted space on RailroadForums.com

2) while you are preparing your post, scroll down to the box that says "Attach Files" and click the "Manage Attachments" tab. This opens a new browser window Titled "Manage Attachments - RailroadForums.com - (your browser)". You now have the option to upload up to 4 pictures per post. If you click on the "Choose File" tab an "Open" window appears. Select the (temp) folder where you saved the resized pictures and click the picture you want to upload. After you have selected the 1 to 4 pictures to be uploaded, just click the "Upload" tab. The resized pictures do not take long to upload.

The limit of 4 pictures per post does seem a bit artificial, but I suppose the idea is to keep the individual posts from being too long. When I want to post more than 4 pictures in a thread, I just "reply" to my own post and continue with the next 4 pictures, numbering them 5, 6, etc.

3) After the pictures have uploaded, put your cursor where you want to insert the pictures, then click down arrow to the right of the paperclip in the message header above the text box where you are typing the post. The default will stack the thumbnails vertically in your post. I like to have them horizontal. Put your cursor at the end of the gooblty gook that identifies each picture and hit the "delete" key to remove the blank line between each picture. Typically you will get two or three pictures on a line and the fourth will appear on the next line. Be sure not to delete any of the gooblty gook stuff.

4) Most Important - use the "Preview Post" tab to see how your post will appear. You can make changes, not in the "Preview" section, but in the Message box, and then Preview it again --- as many times as you want. You can even go back and "edit" a post, but you must do this within 24 hours of making the posting.

All of this sounds complicated, but it really isn't all that difficult. Good Luck!

more on inserting pictures in your post

A bit more detail about step 3 in my post above:

Here is how the line appears where four pictures are posted horizontally

View attachment 110686 View attachment 110687 View attachment 110688 View attachment 110689

Actually, this generates the clickable link. The gooblty gook (my term) actually is:

left bracket: [
word: ATTACH
right bracket: ]
picture number, assigned when uploaded
left bracket: [
word string: /ATTACH
right bracket: ]

repeated 3 more times, but with different picture numbers. Clear as mud, right?

I tried a resize on the post below to 1024 by 768. The pictures are nicely larger than those resized to 640 by 480. Here is a link to my actual post, post #14:

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=281855&posted=1#post281855

Bruce,
Seems like a lot of step, for now I think I'll stay with what works for me. I do appreciate you taking the time to lay it out for me and I will get back to it.

Buried in "honey do's" and the Holidays so not a lot of time for trains.

Where in the heck did this year go?:( Is it just me, or is time flying by like a bullet.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.