From the Water

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

New Signals for Pioneer

New signals and relay/control box for Pioneer. The mast for traffic northbound on main one (right track in photos) has not been installed, though it appears they are working on the foundation. I apologize for the picture quality, but I was shooting into the sun.

A Trip to the Beach

April 1st was April Fool's Day and my first day of retirement (I'm hoping that's a good omen.) :confused: so I headed for the tracks.
SB Auto Rack.

Chambers Bay Park, a NB MTY grain with three including KCS 4015 and no DPU.

I decided a walk on the beach to the old Glacier Pit dock was in order: In a previous post regarding the new signals at Pioneer I mentioned that the signal for NB main one traffic had not been installed and as of 4/1 still nothing, however, I did see a new 6 light signal for NB main one on the south side of the RR bridge. Also, all of the searchlight signals protecting the Chambers Creek bridge have been replaced with new hooded 3 light signals. Maybe a rebuilding of the plant at Pioneer is coming.
The remaining NB main one signal for Pioneer.

A SB Mt Bachelor.

It must be trash day: A NB UP trash followed shortly by a SB BNSF trash.

Walking back to the park a SB UP came by with UP 7964, the 5,000th Evolution Series Locomotive second in line.

And last a NB UP stack.

Bill Anderson

Happy retirement. The first day of my retirement was 3-1-07 and it snowed. I don't know what kind of omen that was other than I couldn't go for a ride on my motorcycle.

Thanks Bill. When retired snow is a good thing because you can look out the window with a cup of coffee in your hand and know you don't have to go outside.

Thanks Lynn, we'll save a place at the table for you.

Art, I have knee high rubber boots for yard work and I have been wearing them way too much lately. My only other options are bridges, docks or as in some of these photos, take a picture at low tide and there will be water were you stood when it come back in.

As a side note: I was talking with a lady at the park that told me both the Glacier and Pioneer docks and all of the pilings on the beach will be removed by the end of the year thanks to the EPA. They placed a single pole and platform visible just in front of the Mt Bachelor in the previous photo thread for the Osprey to build a nest. On the left side of the photo below is a "H" shaped structure with 6 bird houses for the blue ??something that will be displaced when they remove the Glacier dock. While I question the wisdom of all of this, the decision has been made by those allegedly wiser than me.

The old Glacier Materials dock.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
They have rebuilt several control points: MP 85 & Ostrander to 50MPH passenger and freight, 35MPH >100 tons/brake. Rebuilt Felida,and Woodland to Movable point frogs, same speed. Removed control points at Vancouver Jct North and MP 111. Built Interstate South @ MP 114. Removed Vancouver Center crossovers. The Pioneer work would be for PTC with new state of the art control circuits and new tri light signals. Siding work at Chambers Bay for the 2015 US open will be going on sometime. We'll be running Special Sounders from Seattle to there all week long till late at night that whole week in June.

BNSFEng, thank you for the information. I did notice some activity at the West Tacoma siding wondered what was in the works.

Bill, yes, purple martins, thank you.

Thanks Itsed.

Michael, congratulations and good luck.

It had been about two months since my last visit to Chambers Bay Park so on the 19th I spent a few hours there and saw a total of fifteen trains. There was work being done between Pioneer and the draw bridge where I assume the new track and station is going for the 2015 PGA and there was equipment on main two so from Pioneer to Nisqually was single track.
First up.

A KCS Belle in a N. bound grain.

An MTY coal train with a rather weather beaten DPU

UP 4353 had a meet with BNSF 1103 that was slowly drifting up to a red signal and ended up waiting two hours for four N. bounds to pass.

BNSF 2651, a GP39-3, was the trailing unit and was not running, it also appears to have just come from the paint shop.

The second, third and fourth in the string of N. bounds.

The culprit that caused all the congestion.

Ed, thank you.

Itsed, Yes, a lot of different traffic, though out of the fifteen trains no long stack or oil trains.

Going to jump off topic: Itsed, hope you and your family are OK and the house is still standing, I don't think you are too many miles from the epicenter of the 6.? quake. My daughter lives in Burlingame and it woke her out of a sound sleep and gave her a good scare.

Itsed65

Ed, thank you.

Itsed, Yes, a lot of different traffic, though out of the fifteen trains no long stack or oil trains.

Going to jump off topic: Itsed, hope you and your family are OK and the house is still standing, I don't think you are too many miles from the epicenter of the 6.? quake. My daughter lives in Burlingame and it woke her out of a sound sleep and gave her a good scare.
Scared the you know what out of me! Woke me up at 3:30 out of a dead sleep. Real loud, and all kinds of stuff fell down in the house, and the power was out for a while, but other than that (and a scared kitty that wouldn't come out from under the bed for 3 hours!), all OK here. Not something I care for however ;-P

Another trip to the park, but this time the tide allowed me to walk down to the old Glacier dock. Four hours, 1130 to 1530, nine trains, five southbound and four northbound.
I neglected to mention in post #272 that all the old signals are gone and the new are up and operating and this also includes new signs for Pioneer.

A southbound stack with CSX 5261 trailing.

A meet just south of Pioneer. It appears there is some renumbering going on. Though it is nothing unusual, but I was a bit confused when the dispatched called BNSF 236 south.

A northbound UP with UP/SP 6400.

I got photo-bombed by a boat.

BNSF 4779 N.

A four hour late Coast Starlight.

On my way back to the car, UP 8488 N.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com