Forum Software and Server Upgrades Completed

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
The forum will be undergoing software upgrades in the very near future. When this occurs, the forum may be offline for an extended period of time.

Updates will be posted in modelrailroadforums.com during the upgrades.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Well, it was a long process, but we have completed the upgrades and the forum is back online and running well. You'll find a lot of new features, enjoy!

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Why such short notice? The "captcha" software the old forum used was disabled effective 3/31/18. This left us with 2 options. We could ignore the problem, meaning nobody could register or reset passwords etc. Or we could disable captcha, and go to the scrambled letter method. Hackers have found ways around that one, and registrations were coming in fast and furious, along with the spam.

I'd already been planning for the upgrades, as I knew Vbulletin was reaching end of support and usefulness. It just happened a bit faster than I had planned.

Last edited:
I really love the new forum in regards to photos. Not only is it much easier to post photos than the old forum, but the quality of the photos is soooooo much better.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Thanks everyone! I'm really happy with Xenforo, it looks sweet.

Also, since this is a current software and compatible with current versions of PHP etc., we'll be upgrade to a new and faster server in the near future.

Does the new software have an "auto save" feature? It comes in handy when you accidentally delete what you have been typing before posting it. Guess how I know?

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
It does have a basic sort of auto-save, where if you close the browser window and come back, the text may still be there. It's not continuous, I think it works like once per minute or something. So there is some functionality there, but not quite as polished as say Word where you can retrieve drafts if your system shuts down.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
A bit more on the auto-save. In the menu of the reply window, there's a little floppy disc icon (that's the thing to the left of the gear for you kids who only know DVD's). Click it, and it will save your draft. It also auto-saves at what seems like a once per minute timing, though I haven't actually checked that. So it definitely does have a save function. You can also click on the icon to delete a saved draft.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
We've now completed the last phase of the project, migrating to a new, larger and faster server.

This should make the site run even faster than before, as well as having lots of room for expansion.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com