Finding Glass Insulators

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
I was thinking about searchinf inactive lines for insulators. My first question is, can you still find right of ways with insulators on poles? And could I check with my library to find abandoned tracks?

Jackrabbit

Preserving "America's RR"
Just be sure to follow the lines, if any, first. Even though they may not be in use some may still have power. The many insulators I have I got by being at the right place at the right time. While at Travis AFB, I was following the Sac. Northern's Davis line home. They had just cut all of their poles down and had already removed all of the wire. I got as many of the insulators as I could carry in a bag. Later in Missouri a power company was doing the same thing in preparation for larger poles. Again, the wire was all gone.

I've heard of guys climbing poles for them and touching a wire that had a little surprise for them. Remember, even Stampede was once, for all intents and purposes, "abandoned". I would wait 'til the wire is gone.

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
I got some that were used by the NP on the Stampede sub, I got the clear, clear green, and the brown ceramic type, and I also got a green that the GN used from the Scenic sub in WA.

I'm in a good place for glass insulators. Everything BNSF throws away that gets put into gondola cars goes to a customer on our line uses that waste for fuel, etc. I've seen literally hundreds of glass insulators still on the crossarms A few ctc search light signals and hundreds of thousands of crossties.

Back in the early 80s CN converted its main line through the Fraser Valley (Yale Sub) to CTC and deactivated all the telegraph lines along the tracks. A lot of the poles were cut down but left lying for some time before they actually got around to cleaning them up. I lived close and used to walk the tracks a lot so I started gathering insulators. I stashed them along the tracks in a couple places and by the time I quit I must have had 400+ insulators in a couple of piles.

I got busy, sidetracked, whatever and never got around to picking them up. I piled them well away from the tracks and the ROW has never been disturbed so as far as I know they're still there but I've gone looking a couple times and have never been able to find them. Trees and vegetation have grown up so much that any markers I might have had are long gone. It's harder to walk the tracks now so I don't know if I'll ever find them...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.