Fight to Save SW Chief Route

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bill Anderson

An interesting article on why Amtrak may change the route of the Southwest Chief and the fight to save the old route by towns along the way. What surprised me most was the article quoting Amtrak as saying that BNSF tracks needs upgrading to maintain 79mph speeds. Can any locals comment about the tracks?

http://travel.yahoo.com/blogs/compa...-save-amtrak-s-southwest-chief-235755875.html

Edit: I originally posted this in the Railroad News forum, but like Amtrak, I rerouted it here. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about track conditions in Kansas, but I do know that there are numerous slow orders in effect along the route between "new" Waldo Jct. (where the new commuter line to Santa Fe diverges from the route) to Trinidad, CO. There may also be slow-ordered segments from Trinidad to La Junta and from La Junta further east to the CO-KS state line as well. Much of the route is still ABS (with a few CTC "islands") and would require a complete upgrade to CTC in order to permit PTC installation later on.

Does anybody know if the Southwest Chief transfers to the BNSF transcon route through Amarillo, will the trip take less time? If it stays on the present track, the states are unlikely to fund improvement.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back