Espee on the Elldee

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

bogray

Kentucky Colonel
A rare visitor from the West brightened up an otherwise gloomy February day here in the Bluegrass.

On the last day of February 2013, UP #1996...the Southern Pacific Heritage Unit...was on the point of NS train 224 from Atlanta to St. Louis. This move brought the Espee unit across the Louisville District which, as you can see from Mr. Bell's reports below, has seen a fair amount of NS Heritage Unit action in the last few weeks.

Here are a few shots I was able to catch of this interesting event.

1) After just missing the train at Kings Mountain, I thought my day might be over...but a delay in Danville Yard allowed me to catch up and I literally drove up and stopped at the crossing at North Wye as the train rolled past.

2) From North Wye, I barely got ahead of the train to snap this shot in Harrodsburg, KY.

3) After a meet at Talmage, the UP pair thundered through Lawrenceburg.

4) Passing the house power at Lawrenceburg, #1996 has the train well in hand.

bogray

Kentucky Colonel
A few more photos from the Union Pacific #1996 SP Heritage Unit's visit to the Louisville District of the NS leading train 224 on 2/28/13.

1) The train heads into the hole at Talmage, KY.

2) Crossing over Third Street in Shelbyville, KY; the train enters the long trestle alongside Elmo Head Park.

3) On the long trestle in Shelbyville.

4) Passing the soggy basketball court in Elmo Head Park, Shelbyville, KY.

bogray

Kentucky Colonel
Thanks, Buddy!

It was an interesting day...in addition to nearly missing the train altogether; the navigator in my new phone took me on some crazy roads to get to North Wye. Then train 285 set off a defect detector on the way to its meet with the SP unit at Talmage. From what I could gather, it sounded like the "zerozerozerozero" and other reports from the detector indicated a detector malfunction. In the meantime, another east-bound got cleared into Danville so the SP waited out two trains.

Meanwhile, the overcast light was fading fast. It was only about 5PM at Shelbyville but it seemed much later as it was getting pretty dark.

Still it was a fun chase and a very rare catch here in Central KY. I saw the Katy unit (parked) in Seattle a couple of years ago, so now I've seen 2 UP HU's and only 3 of the NS HU's!

Bo

Bill Anderson

Good photos. Thanks for sharing. That is the only UP heritage unit I have ever seen, if you don't count the two UP stream engines and SP 4449. ;)

bogray

Kentucky Colonel
Thanks for all the kind comments...I noticed that several of the same folks have also viewed EM Bell's photos of this same train. It's interesting that he and I both chose distinctive locations for our photos along a relatively short stretch of track, yet we didn't cross paths that day!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com