Ellensburg to Yakima WA.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Hello,

I would like to photograph BNSF trains traveling along a track from Thorp to Ellensburg and to Yakima in Washington State along Hwy 10 and then down Canyon Rd (Hwy 181) to Yakima. I believe that the track is part of the Stampede Sub. It's a beautiful location and I would love to catch a train traveling through the area. Does anyone know how busy the route is? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dave

East of Ellensburg to SP&S Junction in the TriCities area is the Yakima Valley Sub. West of Ellensburg to Auburn is the Stampede Sub.

The Yakima Canyon, from Thrall to Pomona is definitely beautiful, but not as easy to shoot as one might think. It is basically north/south with the road on the east side of the river and the railroad on the west side, most of the way, so sun angles after mid-morning are a real problem in most of the canyon.

You can cross the river at a foot bridge in about the middle of the canyon and get a little access to the west side. but the canyon walls will block the sun as the afternoon wears on.

I have spent many hours in the canyon since 1996 and have gotten a few pictures I'm happy with, but I've had to work at it.

Good luck. Let us see your results.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.