Eastern, NE and Western, IA

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

These were taken between 9/26 and 10/2. I have been so busy lately, I just haven't had time to go through and get them posted.

First Off, here are a couple shots of the Pink Ribbon Locomotive on the UP Display Track in Downtown Omaha.

The next several are from 9/26. After an Aerial Photo Shoot in Red Oak, IA, I took the slow way home and followed the Creston Sub. However MOW had everything tied up so there were not many trains. It would be a fun line to fan when there are some trains.

6. Finally found one with the sun on the wrong side...

Then I headed up towards Crescent, IA where the roads are finally open!
7. Near the Rock Quarry

8. Monument Road

Off to Downtown Omaha
9. Nice to see this locomotive!

10. And again

Then from Sunday:
11. Made a quick stop at Oreapolis on my way home from NE City.

Then I had to go to he||, opps, I mean the mall and get a shirt. However I got that done quick and it was off for a sunday evening drive!

12. I wasn't ready for this train to come around the corner so its not the best shot.

13. This one is a bit soft, but I still like it with the harvest in the background.

14. Here is my "Best" shot of the week

I forgot this shot. Its the old Chicago North Western Line that ran through Omaha up to Bennington and eventually on to Fremont. Railfan Rails said he thinks they are building a bike trail.

C

-chet

Nice shot of downtown. One place you also might like to try late at night is at the top of Park 8. I've been wanting to bring my camera, but these late work hours are messing with my memory.

I'd kill to have that bar and bell on the CNW bridge. I mowed a yard for years that backed up to that structure and wondered it's fate as either a trail or a rebuilt belt.

April

Reality escapee
Brad, concerning pic number 13. While the tracks under the Union Pacific train are former CNW do you know the heritage of the trackage to the extreme left?

P.S. This seems to be a popular spot. I've seen pics of this view taken 20 years ago.

:)

April

nordique72

Displaced CNW Fan
Brad,

The line that ran over 60th Street in Omaha ran from South Omaha to Arlington- I only remember seeing a CNW train on that line once before it was torn out in the mid 80s. I have better memories of when the UP 844 would run up the line to the Aksarben grounds for display.

As for the location of photo 13- on the CNW it was traditionally known as West Woodbine since the former west switch of the Woodbine siding was located there immediately past the IC overpass (IC had no name for the location). Nowadays the Willett crossovers are almost in the same location as the old west siding switch.

Here's one of mine from 15 years ago (not quite 20, April- but close!)-

Yes, the old C&NW Arlington line. I spent countless hours of my youth playing on that exact bridge. It sat right behind my aunt and uncle's house. And we also lived two blocks away from it. Watched many a train roll by there. Used to jump on the rear platform of the caboose and hitch a ride up to K-mart on 50th street. Crews never said anything. Sometimes we would ride our bikes over to the diamond where it crossed the old Mo-Pac line that went down to Liousville. I got my first cab ride on that line when I was 12 years old. Just up to the old grain elevator on 72 & Dodge and back, but it was thrilling. Cab rode 8444 from 50th street to AK-SAR-BEN thanks to some connections with the train crew. Yep, growing up in the 60th& L street part of Omaha was a Mecca for a young railfan!:)

When was the line removed from Cass Street to Irvington? I am 33 and I think I saw a train one time crossing Blondo street. I remember parts of the track being in plce around Maple Street. I do remember the 844 at Aksarben and I think one time around 1985, I remember a train crossing 72 and Pacific street. I remember the Tracks and Elevator near dodge street coming out in the 90's.

I may be able to help with that. It went to Bennington after Irvington when heading northwest. Our last CNW train to come to Bennington was in 1976 and that was to service the grain elevator and pick up stray cars on the siding. The rails stayed in place until 1981. The bridge northwest of town half way to Washington burned in 1972 and CNW did not replace it. When service ended in Bennington, it continued to Irvington for only a short while as there were only two businesses that used rail service. It continued to make trips to Northwest Feed and Grain (the old Irvington grain elevator) but mostly to Fullerton Lumber and then that eventually quit as well. The service seemed to deteriorate slowly southeast until it only went to the Cargill grain elevator between Pacific and Dodge. There were some business on both sides of Keystone drive that were designed for rail service but they too gave it up and then the trains only went to Cargill. I remember waiting for the train at 72nd and Pacific and also waiting for it on 77th and Dodge when it used to run between the 76th West Dodge Drive in Theatre (the theatre was on the east side) and Todd's Drive Inn, that was on the west side. The double track on Dodge with it's steel decking and the switch on the north side of Dodge was still there until the mid 1980's. The switch and all the rails and ties were removed on the north side in the late 80's. The double rails on Dodge with it's steel decking stayed there until about the year 2000 or just a little before.

I remember it too. I used to wait for the green and yellow engine to clear its pull at 50th by Neff Towing (Neff was on the east side). If you grew up around there, I am curious if you may remember some of the same things I remember.

On the west side of 50th, Fuccinaro's (they owned an excavating company on G Street east of 50th) owned that horse pasture (north side of tracks). It was fun killing time as a kid petting the horses. A creek passed under 50th through a culvert, north of the tracks at the bottom of the draw on 50th and it flowed west between our property and Fucci's. Our office sat where the First National Bank sits now on the west side of 50th and on the north side of the creek across from the horse pasture. There is no sign of the creek now and the pasture and horses are long gone.

We had the office structure moved out to Irvington in 1987. We bought the property in 1975 from Jorgensen Brothers Grading who had built the office and shop in the 1960's. One day the guys were called back into the yard early because of the May tornado. They watched it tear through Omaha from the protection of the shop.

Foxley Feed Yards owned the property on the north side of ours and they grazed sheep there clear north up to F street (when F street used to dead end into 50th). There was a feedbunk/shelter type little shanty for the sheep, almost at the top of the hill on the southwest corner of 50th & F.

The mechanics shop where we repaired our equipment, sat west off of 50th quite a ways. The office sat at street level but the shop was at least 15-20 feet lower than 50th at that time. That property now is just about level with 50th street as they filled it in and raised the elevation quite a bit. The creek had a nice 15 foot drop west a little ways, which created a waterfall that was fun to play in. A little farther west the creek ran into some trees at the back side of a farm. There was a swing rope some other kids had put there and that was crazy fun swinging from bank to bank, not always making it.

That CNW roadbed was there before 60th Street and CNW had to put in their street overpass to accommodate car travel. Then it ran through Kewit's construction yard and under the Lane Cut Off. UP had to build a bridge over the CNW because it was already there when the Lane Cut Off was put in.

There is a little house that sits between 60th and the tracks (the CNW ran through it's backyard) and for many years had hubcaps covering the fence on the south side of the house. When 60th was still gravel and poorly maintained, hubcaps would fly off of cars nearly everyday and the owner of the house would just hang them on his fence so people would have some way of getting there hubcaps back. Nice guy. Up until 12 years ago or so, there were still a couple hanging there.

I remember the fiasco of that little tunnel on 50th under the Lane Cut Off. Dump truck drivers would always try to go north on 50th thinking that maybe they would have that tunnel all to themselves to pass through. Well, not always and the motorists would sometimes ban together and just keep a steady flow of traffic going, so that he couldn't get through. There was no way a dump truck and a car could pass at the same time. The people behind him would honk and get out of their cars and cuss at him. Sometimes the driver underestimated the size of his rig and would choke traffic for 10 minutes as he jockeyed himself around to abort the tunnel attempt.

Then at the bottom of Grover Street, west of 60th, the CNW overpass was only like 11 feet tall maybe? Right there by Alford Tire, the NAPA auto parts store and where Ramer Motors (motorcycle shop) used to be. Dummies would hit that bridge with the cab protector of of their trucks and sometimes get themselves wedge in and have to get log chained out by another truck. Just North of there the CNW and the MOPAC had to cross the creek and each other.

Do you have any recollections of the things I have mentioned? It's fun to reminisce but only if somebody else remembers too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com