Cuba 2003 VII... From Camagüey Eastwards (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous trip report part:
Cuba 2003 VI... Trinidad - Sancti Spíritus (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...ba-2003-VI-Trinidad-Sancti-Sp%EDritus-(50-p-)

February 23 2003

We find ourselves shortly after midnight in the lively streets of Camagüey, more about the city can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camagüey
cu030701.jpg

We explored the center at night, as in some Cuban cities remains of a former street trolley system could be found. Details about the history of Camagüey's streetcars and railroads: http://www.tramz.com/cu/cm/cm.html
cu030702.jpg

Fire department.
cu030703.jpg

On the Plaza de los Trabajadores you could hear "Hasta Siempre" in your mind.
cu030704.jpg

Glowing brightly due to the otherwise energy-saving streetlights.
cu030705.jpg

After some sleep at the private accomodation I got up early - the relatives still were sleeping - to explore the central station, or should I say central stations?
cu030706.jpg

It was strangely divided into several parts, on one hand by level crossings along the Havanna - Santiago de Cuba mainline, here the westernmost section can be seen...
cu030707.jpg

On the other hand by a junction featuring another, more modern terminal next to the bus station. The reason for this extra platform has not revealed itself to me even after intensive Google Maps studies nowadays, additional space due to high train frequency definitely was not needed. And the siding does not lead anywhere today, only to a track triangle. The line to the port of Camagüey, Nuevitas, is branching off further to the east. Originally the tracks seemed to have continued in a straight line until roads and buildings had been constructed blocking the way. A view at the situation: https://goo.gl/maps/dS9YJ
cu030708.jpg

A caboose.
cu030709.jpg

On the sidings in the eastern part of the mainline station TEM2-K #81025 and #81015 stood stabled. These are a version of Soviet class TEM2s built for Cuba, a copy of the ALCO RSD-1.
cu030710.jpg

Further back railbusses and trailers could be spotted, sadly I was not able to explore further due to a fence.
cu030711.jpg

You even still could identify "TEM2-K" in cyrillic letters.
cu030712.jpg

An already packed "bus" to Las Tunas.
cu030713.jpg

The modern platform along the siding, why exactly were people waiting here? Questions upon questions... soon another class TEM2-K approached.
cu030714.jpg

I was detected by the crew of #81024.
cu030715.jpg

Break in front of the Revisión de Locomotoras.
cu030716.jpg

I managed to inspect the engine more closely, back then I still was in the phase of mainly taking railroad photos to collect textures for MSTS. ;-)
cu030717.jpg

cu030718.jpg

View towards the eastern part of the station. It was the only fenced off area, I asked a guard for access, but was refused.
cu030719.jpg

On the big warning sign a Soviet diesel class TE114-K had been painted, sadly I did not get to see any during my stay on Cuba. However, the artwork was creative and authentic as always.
cu030720.jpg

A modern gate (or any gate) could be found here.
cu030721.jpg

cu030722.jpg

A last view eastwards
cu030723.jpg

and westwards.
cu030724.jpg

I had to return to the private accomodation and said goodbye to the "inspection of clocks" - oh yes, of course driving was prohibited on the platform featuring a nice antique wooden roof.
cu030725.jpg

The relatives were awake, after a substantial breakfast we sat down in the living room with the landlord until everyone had finished packing. Back then the "Máximo Líder" still resided in office and had travelled to China. On TV one of his often hours-long speeches was broadcasted.
cu030726.jpg

Before continuing we tanked up "black gold" from the squirrel! ;-)
Actually as tourist you could only access certain gas stations on Cuba - a fact that would prove to be fateful one of the following days.
cu030727.jpg

On the way we met this proper Vaquero without his horse, I probably have never seen anyone else walk in such a bow-legged way.
cu030728.jpg

Plenty of cattle could be found, but all of it belonged to the state and was not allowed to be slaughtered by the farmers themselves. Due to new privatization initiatives private farms are able to operate nowadays.
cu030729.jpg

We visited a farm, cacti were often used instead of fences.
cu030730.jpg

Pork is the main meat being eaten on Cuba.
cu030731.jpg

A "Guajiro" at work - obviously a lot of money might be earned by introducing the scythe to Cuba, at least I never saw any. On the other hand many people worked on the ground using machetes - maybe you could just attach it to a stick to save yourself from back-breaking work?
cu030732.jpg

Views into the farm building.
cu030733.jpg

cu030734.jpg

cu030735.jpg

As intermediate destination we reached a beach on the northern coast, at the parking lot we came across a worn cruiser from the 50s with unlocked doors.
cu030736.jpg

In grey weather the setting lacked Caribbean atmosphere.
cu030737.jpg

Viennese janitor-types also lessened the exotic factor significantly.
cu030738.jpg

A classic 1950s hood ornament.
cu030739.jpg

Back on the road towards Santiago de Cuba.
cu030740.jpg

Only railroad sighting on the way was this railbus trailer at Las Tunas.
cu030741.jpg

However, soon darkness fell, in a small town we stumbled across a public festival. Who can guess which cars were ours? ;-)
cu030742.jpg

It was the 50th anniversary of the first failed revolution by Castro at Santiago on July 26 1953 (of course titled as "Victoria" in retrospect by the regime), see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26th_of_July_Movement
cu030743.jpg

Suckling-pig was on offer in the crowd, I tried a sausage which turned out to be inedible.
cu030744.jpg

cu030745.jpg

cu030746.jpg

cu030747.jpg

cu030748.jpg

Whether these are proper Disney-licenses? Main feature on the ship was a red phone (with connection to Moscow?) next to the steering wheel ... ;-)
cu030749.jpg

We sped through the night, once more encountering some terrifying moments. Here a construction site - only secured by a single torch. Shortly afterwards we rolled towards an unfinished bridge, not signposted at all, which had to be bypassed on an auxiliary road. The ladies - on the rear bench at the time - started screaming, only with luck we came to a halt a short distance from the abyss.
cu030750.jpg

Lastly we reached our private accomodation in Santiago de Cuba. Next time we will continue with a morning excursion to the station of Cuba's second largest city.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back