Couple of pics in Lincoln, NE

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

EMDGP30

Had to go to Lincoln today and did a little rail-fanning and saw these 2 units

IMG_2279.PNG

Former ATSF 747 (GP9) blt 4/57; AGPX 1644(GP9u) ATSF 2255(GP9u)

IMG_2278.PNG

Former MP 4314 (GP7) blt 5/54 former AGPX 4314(GP7) MP 1748(GP9); interesting that AGPX assigned the unit's original back to her, built with high nose. I am guessing that MP moved the air tanks to the top of the long hood.

1538521189243.png

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3614370

1538521300055.png

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1153498

It’s always fun to see the old units still around. Are these on the the southeast side of town(near the prison)?

If we had a graffiti artist with a lot of MP blue paint, we could return to yesteryear.

Thank for the pics.

Rick

As a kid I lived for five years in Sikeston, MO (pronounced "Misery"). A Frisco mainline ran north & south through town while an MP branchline ran east & west. I attended half of second grade in a very old elementary school and my classroom had a view of the MP tracks. One day I was standing by the window and so engrossed on watching an MP GP 7/9 switch cars across the street that I didn't hear the teacher telling me to sit down.

The MP branchline serviced the milk carton plant where my father worked and some other industries east of town. The branchline is gone now and maybe the industries as well.

It’s always fun to see the old units still around. Are these on the the southeast side of town(near the prison)?

If we had a graffiti artist with a lot of MP blue paint, we could return to yesteryear.

Thank for the pics.

Rick

Yes it is near the prison.

As a kid I lived for five years in Sikeston, MO (pronounced "Misery"). A Frisco mainline ran north & south through town while an MP branchline ran east & west. I attended half of second grade in a very old elementary school and my classroom had a view of the MP tracks. One day I was standing by the window and so engrossed on watching an MP GP 7/9 switch cars across the street that I didn't hear the teacher telling me to sit down.

The MP branchline serviced the milk carton plant where my father worked and some other industries east of town. The branchline is gone now and maybe the industries as well.

I have a similar memory of yours of watching trains while in school.

The elementary school that I attended was near the KCS tracks in Shreveport, Louisiana and fortunately a couple of my classes were on the second floor and there were some gaps in the trees that you could see trains through and I remember seeing KCS F-units in Deramus red and black high nose Geeps; unfortunately I was too young to have a camera back then.

1539036879624.png

1539037624738.png

Yes, school daydreaming. My 8th grade Spanish class was on the south side of the Jr. High, which gave a good view of the UP Mainline at 84th Street in Omaha. Each day during class we were treated to a Mail train, then the passenger train and usually followed by a freight, many times with a big gas turbine on the head end. Probably why I am only able to speak enough Spanish to order dinner. Poor Mrs. Rerucha, I don't think we EVER faced the front of the classroom.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back