Coal Hopper Modification

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

papio

Spotted these on two cars of a wb empty on the BNSF at Ashland NE earlier today. From what I could see, they were the only two cars with this mod, which look to be, given their whiteness, recently added. Anyone have ideas as to what they are for?

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
I'd guess an attempt to give a more aerodynamic air flow over the top of the car to reduce dusting.

papio

They are attempting to fix the air flow problem they have with empty cars just for fuel savings. They have about 10 of them with that modification.
Sounds like a pretty small population of cars to determine any potential fuel savings. An entire train of modified cars would seem to be the ideal count to calculate savings.

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
Interesting catch, Ed. With how many coal trains I see while walking to campus, I'll have to keep my eye out for more of them.

Why modify a whole train, then have it not work and be waisted when you can do 10 of them and run a 10 car train with a test car and engine on each end which is exactly what they did.

papio

Why modify a whole train, then have it not work and be waisted when you can do 10 of them and run a 10 car train with a test car and engine on each end which is exactly what they did.
Okay, that makes sense, however your first post didn't mention that they'd run a test train, you only indicated that 10 cars had received this modification.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com