Cast Iron "SW" sign

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGWX38

Can anyone help me identify this sign? It is 17inches by 13 inches and is made of cast iron. I know that SW is used in Britain for "sound whistle" but two museums in the UK have told me my sign is not of British origin. P1040773.jpgP1040772.jpgView attachment 130399

Attachments

• P1040771.jpg
    P1040771.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 497
Yes, that's true. Their signs were not oval like this one, however. The folks at Didcot assured me that it is not of GWR origin.

Can you give us some more info on the background of the sign such as where you found it, etc? I also suggest you add your location to your public profile or signature line, which may alert members who live in your area.

I purchased the sign at the Kane County flea market about 10 years ago. The vendor thought it stood for "switch". Another vendor told me he thought it might have been used by the TPW (Toledo, Peoria and Western).

This would indeed be a Toledo Peoria and Western sign. They all had the setup on the back to mount on a piece of rail post. The SW would be for "Station Whistle", indicating the need to whistle for an upcoming station. I have an "XW" sign which is the standard crossing whistle sign. I've also seen "Stop" signs in the same oval configuration.

This would indeed be a Toledo Peoria and Western sign. They all had the setup on the back to mount on a piece of rail post. The SW would be for "Station Whistle", indicating the need to whistle for an upcoming station. I have an "XW" sign which is the standard crossing whistle sign. I've also seen "Stop" signs in the same oval configuration.

Thanks for the information. I wish I could find a photo to confirm. Purchased two books on the TP&W and neither had a photo of the SW sign.

I do quite a bit of research on iron signs and also collect photos of them in service. I've unfortunately also have not seen any on the TP&W. If if find any, I'll certainly let you know! If you find any, keep me in the loop as well.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back