Canon 1Dx Pro body

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Heck, I am still lusting after a 1D4, and even it's too expensive for me. But yeah, I can't wait to see some pics posted from this monster!

I learned something reading about that camera.

I always thought megapixels were megapixels, but when this came out at "only" 18-megapixels I did a little digging. This camera has Larger and Higher Quality megapixels than the older/lower end canon sensors. So aparently its not all bout how many but how good they are.

Well, yes and no...pixels themselves only count for resolution. A pixel also can't be bigger or smaller or more high quality, but you're on the right track. What Canon's actually done is increase the size of the photosite that represents one pixel, as there used to be gaps (Or just larger gaps, if it isn't a gapless sensor) between each photosite. This allowed light to fall into the gaps and not be used. Technology recently has allowed microlenses to bend light onto each photosite, leaving no gaps and, in short, making it more sensitive to light, like boosting the ISO with no extra noise.

Thanks for the clarification. Either way, I am in the group of people that would really like to have this camera!

My 5D MK1 is really old and I am looking to upgrade. Not sure if this would be the right step, but it sure would be awesome!

MP 6.7

needs to get a life. ;)
My 20D served me very well for five years and is now serving backup duty behind my 7D. The 7D is everything I'll need for a very long while...I don't see myself ever needing something like the 1Dx. I would much rather put the equivalent amount of money into glass...an investment that holds its value unlike a digital body which is worth pennies in five years.

I have the 7D and it would be a better all around camera, but I really like having the full format sensor for my landscape work.

I agree with buying good glass. I have everything from 16-200 covered with different "L Glass" lenses. I do want a 300 or 400, but those are pricy!

I agree with buying good glass. I have everything from 16-200 covered with different "L Glass" lenses. I do want a 300 or 400, but those are pricy!
Definitely agree with this too. I took advantage of the rebates going on right now and picked up a 400mm 5.6L at Christmas time. I use it mainly for wildlife, but it can be a fun train lens if I'm in the right spot!

I wish I could combine the image quality from my 5D2 and the auto focus and FPS from my 7D. The 7D takes good pictures, but it does take more work in post (for me anyway) to get the same result image quality wise as the full frame.

I read that Canon is going to continue the 1d4, so maybe I will set my sights a bit lower than the 1dX and save my pennies...

Bill Anderson

I have a 5D MkII/24-105L wide angle zoom for trains, landscapes & sunsets and a 7D/100-400L telephoto zoom for birds.

If I were limited to one camera, it would be the 7D. With an MSRP of around $1,700, it is a bargain compared to Canon's current top of the line models; the 1Ds MkIII ($7,000), the 1D MkIV ($5,000), or even the 5D MkII ($2,500). The 7D has many features that my 5D MkII does not, including a better autofocus system. I hate to think what the price of the 1D X will be. :eek:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras

One thing to consider when purchasing a camera is weight, which can really come into play if you must lug your equipment any distance to your favorite rail photo location. My 5D MkII is much heavier than my 7D and the 1D series is even heavier than the 5D MkII.

Unless one gets lost, stolen, or destroyed, I am set for camera bodies. Any more purchases will be for gla$$.

Bill Anderson

I ended up buying a 5D Mark III. One of the employees at my local camera store recently told me that sales of the 1Dx have been lagging. He believed people were buying the 5D Mk III instead as its price is a little over half that of the 1Dx.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
My 20D served me very well for five years and is now serving backup duty behind my 7D. The 7D is everything I'll need for a very long while...I don't see myself ever needing something like the 1Dx. I would much rather put the equivalent amount of money into glass...an investment that holds its value unlike a digital body which is worth pennies in five years.
I feel the same way. Even though the new cameras (especially 1 Series) are very cool, my two trusty 50Ds are still doing everything I typically need.

Bill Anderson

A month or two ago I purchased a used 1Dx for $1700. I shoot trains and birds in poor light quite often up here in the Puget Sound region and the 1Dx handles high ISO settings much better than my 7DII and 5DIII. I could not afford a new 1Dx at the original M$RP, but I could not afford to pass up this used one.

To update my regular photo arsenal:
7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter (tripod mpounted)
5DIII + 24-105L medium zoom (hand held)
1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom (handheld)
7D + 17-35L wide angle zoom (hand held)

Each camera/lens combo has a specific purpose. I purchased the 1Dx, 500L telephoto, 17-35L wide angle zoom, and a 4.0/70-200L telephoto zoom used at Kenmore Camera to save $$$$. The cameras were purchased over several years and I cannot bring myself to sell off the older ones.

Bill Anderson

This year I purchased a used Canon 4.0/16-35L wide angle zoom and series III 2x teleconverter. My daily lineup is now the following:

5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter (tripod mpunted)
1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom (handheld)
7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom (hand held)

I really like the 24-105L medium zoom and keep it handy for use with the 5DIII. I still hang on to my old 7D and 100-400L telephoto zoom. I would not get much for them in trade so I keep them as backup.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com