Can anyone recommend a book with really good railroad maps?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

punchy71

Greetings,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book or books that shows good, large and clear (in high quality print) maps of all the various different railroads in the U.S.? I have tried looking and haven't had much luck so far. I've looked on the internet and at my local library with hit or miss luck (mostly miss). What few I've seen so far are usually very small, low quality, lousy detailed, thumbnail or digitized maps in poor resolution or unprintable format from off the internet and in books... etc. etc... I find it hard to believe nobody has compiled such a book... I think that railroad maps are immensely valuable, helpful and important, both maps from the past and present....
Thank you

If you want something to research at home and take along when you travel, I recommend DeLorme's Atals and Gazetteer series of map books. Unfortunately they are not available for every state in the union, including the four state area where you live. :(

The map books are highly detailed with contours. While they are not railroad maps per se, they show all active railroad lines, and many abandoned lines. With a little detective work, you can also figure out which of the trails shown on the maps were made from abandoned railroad right of ways.
http://www.delorme.com/mapstore/

Another resource is the satellite photos from websites such as Map Quest. There have been a few railfan oriented companies which have published railroad maps and mapbooks for specific cities, such as St. Louis and Chicago. Use your imagination to search the internet. For example, here is a company I found in the few minutes I have been typing this reply.
http://www.railmaps.com/servlet/StoreFront

I have actually had good luck typing in the state and "railroad map" in a favorite search engine. Different state sites have current and even some with all the abandoned lines too. Check used book stores and such also. Two really good books I've obtained over the years are the "Atlas of Traffic Maps" circa:1930. It was a book for shippers or traffic managers to find routings of goods. Also the "Open and Prepay Station List" circa: 1960. This one lists all railroads and station names by railroad and by state and town. And of course the "Official Guide" which shows a more general map of each railroad.

I had DeLorme's map software and it had great railroad data, even with who owned the tracks and who had rights on the line. I know it's not a book but still very helpful.

I dont think you can beat Dave Cooley's growing line-up of railroad maps via Sonrisa Publications. They are well made,accurate and affordable. Here's the link to his website: http://www.djcooley.com/index.htm

He recently updated the California maps with some new features @$18 ea. He has special books for Stampeed Pass and Stevenson Pass and The Empire Builder.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back