Cab ride on the Simpson Railroad

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
I have a treat for those of you who love a bumpy ride on an old logging line, it ain't a ride in the family car :cool:. The rail is "90/20" in that it varies from just about anything from 70 - 90 gauge pieces. I was privileged to ride with my gracious hosts Stick and Jerry on Presidents' Day on Simpson's #1200 "City of Shelton" from Shelton up to Mill 5 and return. I also made another trip up later in the day after they loaded logs out of the bay, but that's another story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CniXiH2nN4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd4E8E5xqIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9bMIY1cCtk

Ya lucky dog....I am glad to see that some one is documenting the line...For a while I thought that it was a gonner...I am very glad to see that it is up anr running again...I am for sure going to head up that way this spring and shoot it again...This time I hope to get them with a log train, not just the ruff cut lumber...Post more pictures of your trips...
Gary Durr

Joel - thanks for posting all of these! This is a line that I've wanted to document for years - I'm glad you've had the opportunity to do it. I have a question - why do they only give two 'longs' instead of two 'longs' a 'short' and a 'long' at crossings? I thought all railroads had to conform to FRA rules.

Joel - thanks for posting all of these! This is a line that I've wanted to document for years - I'm glad you've had the opportunity to do it. I have a question - why do they only give two 'longs' instead of two 'longs' a 'short' and a 'long' at crossings? I thought all railroads had to conform to FRA rules.
Jon,

I can't believe how lucky I am to live close to this RR, it's a real treasure! About the X warning, I kinda had the same thought, but didn't bother sayin anything. I assumed it was late timing as they hadn't run for so long and aren't used to the W distances, dunno. Next time I ride I'll mention it, but I don't want to cause a problem for anyone.

Jackrabbit

Preserving "America's RR"
Being that it was still dark and most of those old houses have little to no insulation in them. Given the proximity, he was probably trying to hit a happy median between respectful and safe. Probably limits the number of "what the #$%$ is wrong with you guys?" calls from angry residents.

I decided I had better call and tell them before someone got into trouble. I suspect he'll be blasting legally from now on.

JH

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.