Burned and bummed

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

crazyace777

Jack of no trades
I dont know why it never fails. I get burned out at my home location due to the same old same old. I have a trip planned out of state along different railroads. I get to my vacation, I get sick and cant get out, and then find out I miss all sorts of odd trains at home that I normally wouldnt see (circus train, windmill train and not to mention UP 1982 leading a detouring UP stack train on BNSF rails).

And my railfan friends wonder why i want to give up this hobby and find something else

Same here Nathan, that is why I'm not taking photos now. Even though I am all around and on them. Before long I will be taking my camera with me to work again. On a side note, next week I will be in central TX and should come back with something.

That's the way it always goes. I sometimes hike several miles to go to remote places for railroad photography. I wait all day long and not a single train comes. As soon as I leave and I am halfway down the mountain 10 trains goes by.

maersksealand3329

Son of a Conrail fan
I have been there and done this quite a few times, one being just last year when someone on here (yes here) decided to post a rant about my material. I nearly walked away from this, having known trains my whole life. It hit me when I saw my dad wearing his conrail shirt with pride that I relized excactly why I am a railfan. That right there put everything in perspective, and I have not given up.

Trainwatching is about the only thing that keeps me in line too, and it keeps me from going bonkers.

I think there is a kind of zen moment when there are no trains and I am in the moment...the smell of wildflowers in the air, bees buzzing abouts, bikers and runners going by the pathways...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.