BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Where is MP 85?
It's immediately south of where the tracks cross the Toutle River, north of Castle Rock. You can probably see the signals from I-5. There is an RV park wedged between I-5 and the railroad tracks, and the bridge is just south of there. The old signal cantilever for southbound trains is north of the Toutle River bridge. The new signal cantilever is south of the bridge. If anyone wants to get a good look at the process involved in building a new crossover, the one at Vader is right next to a road that runs along the west side of the tracks. Go west on Hwy 506 off I-5 and turn right after you cross the tracks, by the Little Crane Cafe (which is a great place to eat breakfast, by the way).

Yes. Normal speed for the #20 switches is 35mph, 25 mph for >100 tons / brake. When I qualified as engineer, my trainer had said BN was told they were good for 50 mph by the manufacturer. Well, the maintenance was way too much and you really got shook going through the crossovers, so speed was reduced. Finally, they are fixing this problem by putting in the # 24s which are good for 50 mph unless > 100 tons/ brake which is 35 mph. This is all part of the passenger rail improvement projects paid for by the federal government.

Yes. Normal speed for the #20 switches is 35mph, 25 mph for >100 tons / brake. When I qualified as engineer, my trainer had said BN was told they were good for 50 mph by the manufacturer. Well, the maintenance was way too much and you really got shook going through the crossovers, so speed was reduced. Finally, they are fixing this problem by putting in the # 24s which are good for 50 mph unless > 100 tons/ brake which is 35 mph. This is all part of the passenger rail improvement projects paid for by the federal government.

That is good news. I was really surprised that the Talgo had to crawl through these crossovers, relatively speaking.

I noticed stakes north and south through fields next to (west side) the tracks at English today. Is this related to some changes to come or not related at all to BNSF?

Yes, the future construction of another siding on the East side of the Mainline this year at English.

The new crossovers at Vader will be cut in later this month. The new crossovers were constructed south of the present ones. The speed will be increased from 35 MPH to 50 MPH except for trains >100 tons/brake it will be 35MPH.

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
attachment.php
Here is some work that BNSF is doing on bridge 19.2 This is on the route from Spokane to Kettle Falls

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 559
Chattaroy area

attachment.php
attachment.php
photo 3.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 798
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 781
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 391
I tried to upload some photo's for this but it seams like I did somthing wrong. Anyway BNSF is replaceing bridge 19.2 on the route form Spokane to Kettle Falls. This is just south of E Chattaroy Rd.
photo 2.jpg

From an engineer on a Facebook forum sounds like September is night ops only for trains due to all the track projects on the Bellingham Sub. I've started to see some MoW equipment showing up in Everett and Marysville area but haven't seen anything major yet. Signal techs (I think that's who they are) have been at the signals, crossing and bridge 38 area quite a bit lately.

I heard the P-811 is to arrive on the Bellingham Sub July 7. They're talking about 8-hour windows during the week and maybe 4-hour windows on the weekends. The P-811 would work four days and the other three days per week would be for surfacing, welding, etc. Also heard a rumor about empty coal trains returning south via the Sumas Sub.

I heard the P-811 is to arrive on the Bellingham Sub July 7. They're talking about 8-hour windows during the week and maybe 4-hour windows on the weekends. The P-811 would work four days and the other three days per week would be for surfacing, welding, etc. Also heard a rumor about empty coal trains returning south via the Sumas Sub.

I heard about the Sumas Sub from the same engineer too. It'll be very interesting soon.

I kinda wonder about six axle units on that sub. There is no restriction except the yard tracks in Sedro Wooley. I wonder when the last 6 axle engine was on the sub. There may have been some old SD60Ms on the 644 local but I thought they were on the 627 local between Bellingham and Everett. It would be quite a sight!

Empty coal trains are indeed coming back through Sedro Woolley. A friend and I saw one get back on the main line at Burlington 7/13. ES44AC 5947 was the lead loco, followed by two SD70MACs. The trailing unit was also an ES44AC. I wonder if they reduced the 14-degree curvature when they removed the switch on the west end of the curve 10 or 12 years ago.

Been a long time since anyone added any updates. I've heard that they are building a new siding in Camas, WA, where the tracks go through the big paper mill. Anybody else heard anything new?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back